What materials do you use that are fluorescent/glow in the dark? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What materials do you use that are fluorescent/glow in the dark?

I pulled out the ol' 1970's style blacklight that I keep in the studio for my UV mineral collection. Laughed when i saw what else fluoresced - the Otter's Soft Eggs, both the clear and the slightly milky, fluoresced like CRAZY - freakin neon orange!

Even funnier, the milky ones will continue to phosphoresce for quite a while after you turn the UV source off. Just like the '70's all over again!

I know there's some fluorescent/glow streamer body material available out there. Anybody use it? Sometimes it just adds a little of that 'perk' that makes a fly work. (I use a lot of glow-painted jigs during ice fishing season)

Just curious. Thought it might be kinda fun to ask.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
silent_light

Default Re: What materials do you use that are fluorescent/glow in the dark?

UTC Ultra Thread in flourescent colors glows like crazy in UV, there are sili legs in glow in the dark, and UTC also has a white glow thread, glows in the dark !
Up here, there is a ban on glowing flies/lures along with night fishing. They say its way too easy to hook every fish with glow lures.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

I`ve been playing with some orange glow-in-the-dark flashabou, mixed w/a little crystal flash in a few leech/streamer patterns I`ve been tying lately. Only got to try one once, no results yet- but I`m confident they will produce.
fish fetish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd seen some streamer material in a back issue of Fly Tyer, or possibly American Angler. Can't for the life of me remember who made it, but it was for saltwater streamers (albacore flies, et al). They said "turn the lights off and look for the glow at your local fly shop".

Still sounds kinda cool to me.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
silent_light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingal
I'd seen some streamer material in a back issue of Fly Tyer, or possibly American Angler. Can't for the life of me remember who made it, but it was for saltwater streamers (albacore flies, et al). They said "turn the lights off and look for the glow at your local fly shop".

Still sounds kinda cool to me.
Thats the UNI GLow Thread. think they call it Ghost Thread...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've got some Krystal flash, rugger legs, thread, and some beads that are all glow in the dark....Still playing around with it. The jury is still out as to it's effectiveness. I was disappointed with my UV Ice dub...I really like the stuff but under a black light it didn't really seem to make a difference.

John G.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in