Favorite Carp flies? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Favorite Carp flies?

I was introduced to fly fishing for carp this year and I am totally hooked. Currently I enjoy tying and fishing the Clouser swimming nymph in rusty brown and black.

What other patters are out there that work really well for our Colorado waters, especially in northern Colorado. Ex. Douglas, Union.

Thanks all for your suggestions, and thanks to Frontrange Anglers for their incredible blog.
lonnyinco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Favorite Carp flies?

You already use my favorite, the clouser swimming nymph just flat out works. Try tying some with a clump of rabbit instead of hackle for legs. I like a sz.8-10

My second favorite is the halfback nymph, also around a sz.8-10.
shutupandfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

When nothing else works large (8-12) Prince nymphs always hook fish!
FlyArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupandfish
You already use my favorite, the clouser swimming nymph just flat out works. Try tying some with a clump of rabbit instead of hackle for legs. I like a sz.8-10

My second favorite is the halfback nymph, also around a sz.8-10.
Yup-o! 2 great ones - I love to tie those Clouser Swimming Nymphs and that halfback nymph was the winning fly at the '09 Denver TU Carp Slam! No brainer, dude!

Though I have heard that if you do some CDC on an emerger hook, it's a dead ringer for clooping carp who are sucking down cottonwood seeds - some will color the thread on the hook side just a hair brownish - though plain white works well too.

Anybody have any success with damsel dries? I have a few I got several years ago - one in particular that I haven't tried to tie myself, but it's fairly straightforward - Blue and black 'body cord' body on an emerger hook, with a parachute type hackle spun around a wing post of blue antron yarn, that's then pulled over the top and tied off on the head. Sits just perfectly like a damsel cripple in the water (trout liked it - doubt a carp would turn up it's nose)

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I caught a carp in Union with a white crazy charlie.
As far as flies goes, you'll need to prepare different sink rate for different depth and conditions. Crayfish, demsel and dragonfly nymph works well for bottom feeder. For cruising carp, you'll need lightly weighted flies for presentation, such as clauser minow and other saltwater flies will work.
I have not been chasing them seriously, take me advise with a grain of salt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in