Rotary vs. Fixed - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rotary vs. Fixed

So I'm in the market for a new vice. I have a crappy clamp on from Basspro that drops and spits hooks out all of the time. Many vises in my price range ($75-$150) are rotary, but I've never tried one.

Are there any shops in Denver that let customers tie up some flies on different vises, sort of a test drive? Charlies has the table, but is that for demos only? I do want to be able to turn the fly over and get the bottom of it, but I'm not sure if the whole rotary thing is better for dubbing and hackle than a fixed jaw. Thoughts ya'll? Thanks!

rOb
rmalling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Mayor

Default Re: Rotary vs. Fixed

Rotary for sure, makes things so much simpler. Better flies too...
Old 06-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

The rotary comes in handy for so many flies that it's well worth it. One small example is the ease at which pheasant tail fibers are wrapped onto a p.t. nymph with out all the twisting and breakage...just my .02...
Yearnin-fer Naknek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Shop around for sure. In your price range is the Peak Vise, made locally and it's a good quality. I've got one without any of the accessories. The only thing I would want is the riser to raise the vise off the base. The base on that thing is also heavy which is good.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Renzetti Traveler 2000 ---- or save a bit more cash and get a 720 which is way beyond any other vice on the market
Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

haha, that's funny, Kimo. Charlie has let me test drive vises, run me through now to tie flies, and just generally provides great customer service.

As for the vise question, I'm new to tying (haven't had much time at all), but I started with the crappy bass pro vise you're talking about and moved to a peak rotory vise. The difference is night and day. About the only thing I don't like about the rotory is that when you turn the fly over so you're looking at the bottom, the hook shank is still flat. The non-rotory is nice because when you turn it over, the hook shank is turned up some, so applying glue and not getting it into the eye of the hook is easier. (hey, I said I was new at this ) The advantages of the rotory far outweigh this one tiny disadvantage I've found though.
DozerF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

So, Rob, any more wisdom on what you're gonna try for a vise now? Inquiring minds want to know!

Remember - rotate, rotate, rotate, and don't use the bobbin holder like it's *necessary* - it's a *convenience*!

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Upon much thought and hours of research generally reserved for scholars in academia, I've decided to go with a rotary vice. The thinking goes if I want to keep the damn fly in one position, I can do that whenever I want. And, If the rotary thing for spinning hackle and such pans out, I've got that option too.

Watching the videos of Norm Norlander (is that his real name?!) of Nor-Vise fame persuaded me to go with a rotary. Yeah, his vise isn't your typical rotary and I couldn't do 90% of what he does at that speed, but it makes rotary seems...cool, I guess.

Here is what I bought, it's in the mail. Found some good reviews of it. And for the money, I won't be locked into if for 10 years if I hate rotary;

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAYFLY-TRUE-ROTA...item2c557b51d2

If that doesn't work, go to ebay and search "Mayfly Rotary Vise".

Review of said product to follow in a few days.

Happy 4th of July ya'll!

rOB

rmalling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nice looking, Rob. Let us know how you like it.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in