Dubbing Wax? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
TH

Default Dubbing Wax?

I've never used dubbing wax. Sometimes I've used saliva, especially for a natural material like beaver, and with some of the synthetics I've just used chapstick as a substitute for wax. Do you guys always tie with wax or not? Do some of you vary it depending on the fly or material?
TH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Dubbing Wax?

I've never seen a reason for it, I think it's like horse hair fly line --- out-dated --- just keep tying
Now I have to ask what the effects are of chapstick (petro) on the fish
Old 09-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

There are some dubbing techniques that really need wax, outside of those it's just personal preference.
funkmastersnowshoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

My fingers are dry and it is tough to get friction on the dubbing for me... I put just a little on my fingers for grip... will use chapstick or nose grease if necessary.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hm... I use wax - stickier the better, IMO. Though, I do 'spin' dubbing on my Nor-Vise, where you use the twist of the thread to pick up the dubbing. I used to get really frustrated using coarser, synthetic dubbing like ice dub- lots of wax, bad results, big mess, until I had a aha moment and tried dubbing some Hare-Tron or rabbit dubbing to create a little 'base' to which the coarse synthetic would stick to. I currently have some of the white Wapsi stuff in the orange tube that works pretty well.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720fly
I've never seen a reason for it, I think it's like horse hair fly line --- out-dated --- just keep tying
Now I have to ask what the effects are of chapstick (petro) on the fish
I hadn't thought about that- thanks, 720. Oyey's suggestion of the nose grease oughta take care of that. I've got that in spades and my 6 year old will be lobbying me to be a supplier, too.
TH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

heck not sure if the chapstick DOES have an effect. We should ask if GEEK uses any lip gloss on those show guppies, maybe some blush on the cheek's, I can see the the catty little beaches powdering their noses
brings a new meaning to a cutthroat competition --- how many of the fish that can't make the cut, a dream of the run way, cursed to be a flash in the pan, sad life of the show fish
Hey GEEK do they have to wear a leash, dress um up with some bling around the neck
sorry man the subject just keeps me smiling from ear to ear
Old 09-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

For the most part I'm not using dubbing wax. I bust it out when I'm doing some touch dubbing with a more natural hair dubbing and spin the thread to keep it on. This technique makes for some super spiky collars that look quite buggy. The other time I use it is with some types of dubbing that tend to be difficult, like ice dub or something like that.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Have you tried a glue stick? It only costs a dollar and it will last for thousands of flies and it works with every kind of dubbing on the market. The only downfall is that it takes about 3 days to dry because it's under all that dubbing.
carpman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in