It's getting that time... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default It's getting that time...

Since about April, I have had such a hard time tying flies. It isn't the ability that is gone, it is just that every time I sat down, I felt like I was doing a chore, and not enjoying a passtime. So basicly for the summer, I only tied warm water patterns that were necessary...

Anyhow, In the last week or so, I have sat down twice and had a ball tying up small stuff for winter... Also tied up some pig stickers and copper johns. Anyhow, I had a blast and stayed up real late enjoying the solitude and focus it takes to tie.

So, I thought I would post up and ask others thoughts... do you go through periods when it just isn't fun? For me, I think it has more to do with the amount of things I like to do on summer evenings. Now that the days are getting shorter, I find myself thinking about tying and wanting to sit down at the bench....Thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: It's getting that time...

Lately, I have been tying at the dinner table. I have been making an effort to be around my family a bit more rather than hiding away in my office. I have been a lot more efficent at the table. It has been a lot more funner to be able to crank out a dozen flies in half the time it took me in my office where I have the TV and the computer to distract me. Almost all summer I sat at my tying desk with no motivation and no desire to tie watching re-runs of CSI. Now, with the early darkness, I am getting back into it and being more productive. The TV stays off because the kids are doing homework at the table also, so that helps, though I am missing all my shows now.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I like the idea of time at the dinner table with the family. In time, I hope to do the same. It is also a good way to make sure the kiddos spend some time on homework and maybe other things that are not TV/computer related. Maybe even tying with you!
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I didnt tie all summer. Then last Thursday I went and did some PHWFF tying with the soldiers... totally got me in the mood to tie. Going again tonight to do some buggers... should be good times!

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo
I tie for my own needs and some very close fishing buddies.

During the summer I will tie a variation of a fly that I think might work in a set of 3. I then fish it and see if it works. If it does I'll tie a couple dozen and share half of them with my friends.
Can I be your friend?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

i'm the opposite. everytime i sat down this summer, i tied...one on

i have not tied a flie in maybe 12-14 months, other than at a tying session with my TU chapter. i hate to admit it but i have a lot of lfies from past tying and buying i need to use up so tying has not been a priority. i've also only fished a dozen times this year so i rarely used up flies.

i think this is somewhat normal for recreational tyers?
YMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Good topic Oyey. I have not tied a bunch this summer because of other commitments with the family and new house. The kids seemed to stay up later this summer and by the time they went to bed I was so tired I didn't feel like tying. I just wanted to vege out. Lately, as you said, I seem that I am finding more time to tie in the late evening and I really enjoy the solitude and the creativity (and a scotch on the rocks). I bought some new materials and scissors and such and it has helped me regain my focus. This winter I would really like to tie a lot of flies so i don't keep running out when I'm fishing regularly. I also give a lot of flies to the guys I fish with. I wish they would start tying too!
Poudre Hound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't tie much during the summer. Only if I need something special for a trip. I do most of my tying during the winter. I am not too much of a winter angler. Maybe I'll give it another chance this year. Right now I am tying up some tiny midges for the San Juan. We head out on Wednesday for a few days of hopefully successful fishing. This is this years last major adventure.
21483 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well, I started tying around the end of last year, beginning of 2010. I even entered the ant fly swap, which I thought was awesome!

But, after that fly swap, I stopped tying. I bought a house, and started about a million projects on the new place. I had a kid (well, I didn't have him, but you know), and I had surgery. So needless to say, I haven't been tying at all.

Well, I signed up for Charlie's fly tying class, which started last night. It was awesome to tie some up, even if they were simple little flies. I'll be tying a lot of different flies as I go through this class, and I can't wait to get to where I'm a self-sufficient tyer. I just want to go home and tie up a bunch of the brassies and midge larva patterns we went over in class last night. By the time I get to where I can tie up a stimulator, I'll be fully addicted. Oh yes, this will be fun.
DozerF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

My boxes are so thin, people don't believe me that what is inside are all my flies. I need to upgrade my vice, chair, and lamp to make it tolerable but there is no way I am dumping money into those items. Not to mention, it just takes too much time that I don't have. It was different when i was in college and I just had time to waste.

There are a few patterns that stores don't sell. They are stupid simple to tie. I tie them when I run out, angrily.
tangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in