Whip finish by han - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Whip finish by han

30 years of tieing flys and I finally forced myself to sit down and hand whip finish.
Took about 30 minutes of watching Youtube and practice, and I can do it!
I was stoked. No more whip finish tool..The time I will save now! Wow!

Wait, I have to put my scissors down to whip finish! Thats gonna eat the time I saved learning to not pick up and use the whip finisher. Gotta be something wrong.
Checked youtube. All the videos are whipping without scissors in their hands.

If I try hard, bet I can whip with scissors in my hand. Do I wanna learn? Nah, maybe in another 30 years.
Whats cool? I can look cool hand whipping when I have NuB's around. LOL
dubbn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Whip finish by han

Now you just need to learn how to whip finish with one finger
shutupandfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was the opposite. I took a fly tying class during college for a leisure studies class and our instructor taught us to whip finish with our fingers. He showed us how to do it with the whip finisher tool, but I wasn't really paying attention and we were tying big flies where using your fingers was just more efficient. I came out here to CO and began tying flies, which were mostly in the #18-24 range, and I found I really struggle controlling the thread with my fingers to the degree in which I'd like. On a fly like Charlie's Jujubee in 24, I just couldn't keep that thread head stacked up securely with a whip finish with my fingers! I then taught myself to use the whip finisher tool again, and haven't put it down since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Never could see any sense in a whip finish...I've always used 2 half hitches to finish a fly. Never had any problems.
Yearnin-fer Naknek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

The whip is more precise. I can do both, but prefer to use the tool. I use fingers for the quickie when using the rotary function.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, you can whip finish by hand with the scissors on. Never tried with the thumb in the loop though. Just always keep one loop of the scissors on your ring finger of your right hand ff you're right handed. Been doing that way about 30+ years now. They guy that helped teach me was how do you say "anal" about never, never putting down your scissors whether your selecting hackle, dubbing, spinning deer harir or whatever you keep em in your hand. Saves alot of time finding them in the clutter on a table. This guy was a master of clutter and I was well taught. Anyhow 3-5 seconds to find the scissors and get them on for each operation per fly, times many hundreds of dozens of flies= alot of time. Never used a whip finish tool except as a demo in a class a few times. The eyes are staring to get old though so I may have to try one again. Ha, Ha.
fishfrnzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in