Dorsey's mercury midge - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dorsey's mercury midge

Do any of you guys tie them different than the original. I've been playing around with the idea of midge tubing and dubbin to hide some lead in it, any input is welcomed.
carpman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Dorsey's mercury midge

Change out the bead to a pearl tungsten bead and skip the lead IMO... I tie it just like the original though. With midges, I don't think the tie matters much...Just my opinion, but that is the one pattern (in nymph form) I am loose about the details...
Old 11-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Any lead is going to make an awfully fat midge larva. Go with Oyey's suggestion or just trail your mercury midge behind a bigger, heavier nymph or a split shot.
funkmastersnowshoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I like the idea of a pearl tungsten bead, is the expense worth it?. I mainly fish either 1 nymph or a dry and a nymph, Instead of peacock hurl for the thorax I figured I could get a couple wraps of .010 lead and use the same amount of dubbin that I would use for like a #18. I mainly tie them on a #16 curved shank or #14 short shank. I guess it's labor versus cost?
carpman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

I use white brass beads for some patterns (ice cream cones, etc), but if you're thinking of using a tungsten, I know Montana Fly has Lucent Beads in a bunch of colors, and they run down into the 1/16" size, which is perfect for size 20 and smaller hooks.
Now if you're wanting to drift a little sparkle on the back of a tungsten bead, try this:
thread a strand of small flash or tinsel through the eye of the bead before you put the fly on the hook
then put bead on hook
pull flash back over bead and tie your fly

This creates some of the 'shine' you get from the metal or silver lined glass beads that make the mercury midge sparkle.

If you're really good with nail polish, an opalescent pale color and a very steady hand can also do the trick. If you're not wanting to paint your whole fly (some of us with clumsy fingers have done such a thing(, use a sewing needle or straight pin held in a pair of hemostats as a mandrel, and plop your bead on and paint, let dry, and tie. Or dot it on the bead after you've tied your fly if you have very steady hands

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in