micro tubing - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default micro tubing

Hi all,

I was tying up some midge patterns last night and decided to try some micro tubing. I've seen some flies tied with it or other similar things. I did clear over green and clear over red. I tried wrapping it loose, tight, and in between. I just couldn't get it to have the look I was going for. So between that, and trying to get the stuff tied in (which is a pain until I figure out how it works better), do you guys have any tips for working with this stuff?

I plan on using clear D-rib tonight to see if I can get the look I'm going for a little better.

Thanks,
Eli
DozerF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: micro tubing

Try this -
Tie in the tubing at the eye of the hook and wrap tightly back to the bend or where youwant to stop. Then wrap back towards the eye with either a tight or loose wrap depending on the bulk you want. If it is a small midge just tie in at the eye and lay it against the hook as you wrap it down with thread. The hardest part I had was making the U turn at the bend and heading back.

Bob
Old 12-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
silent_light

As you wrpa the tubing forward, slightly release tension on the tubing and you'll get a nice ribbed effect.

Like Kimo said - try threading some med wire in clear tubing, makes a nice translucent colored body
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

For midges you need something small. I use 6X & 7X tippet. On the San Juan we used to call them an M&M (Mono-Midge). Tie in a piece of mono over the top of your hook....then wrap your chosen color of thread (Olive, brown, and red worked best there)....let the bobbin hang at the eye, then wrap your mono forward. Tie down and either add some grey or black dubbing....or none at all.

I have a feeling your thinking about Pueblo on January.....Very durable fly and nice translucent effect.

Hope this helps,
John G.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

well, as usual, Kimo is right. Cut the tubing before tying it in to reduce bulk.

I also stretch the hell out of it under thread. then I take my first wrap of other material under the tubing to support it when I start to wrap it (hope this makes sense). Here is my fly for the swap. I use clear micro tubing over the top of holographic flashabou... I just love the look and have a beatis emerger in the works using a simmilar body

Old 12-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I'll have to try some of these next time I tie (maybe tonight)! I'll let you know what works best for the look I'm going for.

Eli
Old 12-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

One other thing... when you use the stuff, experiment with the tension. I find that I try not to stretch it much when palmering so it stays round... or stretch in the beginning and less as you go so a small taper is created.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've definitely been playing with tension. This stuff is pretty cool, seems like you can do a lot of different things with it.

I had some time to play around on the vise while the baby and girlfriend were sleeping this morning. First off, I didn't realize there were different sizes of micro tubing. The stuff I got just say s "Micro Tubing Clear". It's from Hareline Dubbin, Inc. This stuff is TINY. I was trying to feed a wire through it like Jim suggested, and I swear, I thought he sent me on a snipe hunt or something. Haha. Anyway, I found a much bigger (bigger diameter) piece in my tying stuff that a friend gave me. Wire went in there with little trouble. Anyway, here's a picture:

The ones on the left are the ones I tied the other night, which is what made me start this thread. The green one has micro tubing wrapped around it, but I pulled it really tight while palmering. To me, it didn't look like anything much different than a thread midge. The others on the left are ones I wrapped with less tension, getting closer to the effect I wanted.

On the right are the ones I tied today. You can see the difference in size of the tubing. I really like the way the wire looks in the tubing, but on these size 20 hooks it looks too bulky in my opinion. What do you guys think of these?

By the way, thanks Kimo for suggesting cutting at an angle first. That made a huge difference!

Thanks again for all your help, everyone!
Eli
Old 12-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

The ones on the left are basically a Barr's Pure Larva. Really, not a complicated fly. The tubing covers the thread, so it is more durable at that point. That fly will fish just fine and the color combinations are almost endless, even though a few colors will cover most situations you will run into. The flies on the right are a bit bulky as mentioned and anytime you bulk up a small hook, you lose the space in the gap and that means more lost fish. You can also get some midge krystal flash into the tubing and play around with that. But, you won't be able to stretch it much with the flash without stretching out the flash and making it useless. Keep playing around and show us what you come up with.

Juan
Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think you'll like the effect of the d-rib, if you get the real small. It stays more round than the tubing, which flattens out when you put tension on it.
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in