This vise or that vise - your thoughts - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default This vise or that vise - your thoughts

I'm still using the first one I learned on and I want to upgrade to something that is a tad more functional. I've looked at the 720, Nor-Vise and the Dyna-king and so leads the discusion of the perks of what I want. It's just like anything really, use what fits you but for now I'm interested in the opinions of those that have been doing this for a spell. So, if money was no concern what vise would you use and why.
abbner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
silent_light

Default Re: This vise or that vise - your thoughts

Lots of Vise Opinions in this old thread :

https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...?topic=56120.0

Personally, id stick with my DanVise. Its gone thru thousands of hooks and the jaws are still in great shape. Does everything a $500 vise can do for less than $100

If money was no object - C&F Reference Vise just cuz it looks snazzy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

bells and whistles 720 all the way. Or you could go with the $1,000 renzetti if $$$ is no object
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Silent - thanks for the link for the old posts. I tried finding it before I posted this and then gave up and started this one. I just checked out the C&F and I will agree with you, it would be a lot of fun just to play with thing.

720 - After you and I met last year, when I bought your 4wt, I have been looking at the 720 pretty seriously. One of these days we need to hook up so you can sell me on it.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Each vice has it's own strong points and drawbacks, but you can't go wrong if you stick with the four main vices, booze, women, gambling and drugs.
funkmastersnowshoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

hey man, just a bit of ad"vise"!!!

I think the first decision to make when you are vise shopping is rotary vs. fixed. True rotary will hold the fly horizontal and spin, keeping the fly horizontal and the shank of the hook in plane with the rotary axis. Most nice fixed vices also turn so you can access most of the fly, but are angled so the fly sits high. You prolly know this, but I wanted to explain why I think it is so important to think about this closely prior to deciding which vise to buy.

For me, I have big hands... accessing the back of the fly on a true rotary vise sucks for me and I find that I cannot control the material well because I have to change the natural material hand position. I use an adjustable angle vise so I can really slant the jaws upwards and above the body of the vise. This makes the area behind the fly completely open so I can keep my material hand in a natural position and access the back of the fly easily. THIS IS FOR ME ONLY and is why it works so well.. I give up the rotary function, but I am willing to do that because my flies look a lot better when I can really control the material.

Beware, the hybrid vises (rotary or fixed) are usually not terribly functional as a rotary vise because they are not true rotary and the shank of the hook is not in true plane with the axis of the rotary function. Hope this all makes sense, the only reason I explain this in such detail is because if you eliminate one or the other, your shopping will be much easier.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbner
Silent - thanks for the link for the old posts. I tried finding it before I posted this and then gave up and started this one. I just checked out the C&F and I will agree with you, it would be a lot of fun just to play with thing.

720 - After you and I met last year, when I bought your 4wt, I have been looking at the 720 pretty seriously. One of these days we need to hook up so you can sell me on it.
Well as stated before I am know longer a pro staff for the 720 anymore. I do how ever have a couple of newbi tyer's that got 720's as their first vise. They are very happy. To the point--- I am going to be doing some lesson per say with them this winter. You are more than welcome to sit-in and enjoy
-- next, if you get a chance sooner to catch vincent doing a demo, I am sure you WILL be sold
hope you like that#4 and have had plenty of day's to fish it
Old 01-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oyey - That has been the #1 thought I've had because I have never used a rotary so that in itself would be a learning curve. The vise I have has a hard time hanging onto anything smaller than a #20. (don't ask how vise-grips come into play).

720 - That is good to know that the noobs took to it so quick. That is well received. Drop me a line when you plan on something like that and if I'm in the US I will make the trip to come and get edu-ma-cated. (the 4wt has been a hoot to fish with.)
Old 01-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

cool and cool
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

I knew Jim would jump on here and get the old vise threads re-threaded!

I have a Nor-Vise, which I love, but am bummed that everybody who sells accessories and parts is out of state or online only - I'm a touchy-feely, get it today kind of peron. (Am asking for more spools for bobbins and possibly some new jaws - I was very cruel to mine a few years ago with saltwater hooks. Long story.)

Seriously, check out YouTube for videos on vises. There's gotta be somebody with your kind of tying skills, hand size, preferred tying technique, using the vise that you want. You'll figure it out!

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in