What To Do? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What To Do?

I'm starting to reach the point where my vest won't hold any more fly boxes. Yeah, I could jam 2-3 more in there, but it doesn't feel necessary. I've tied more flies than I probably need, but they exist and I want to fish them. But that means not fishing the others, right? My interest in tying has caught up with what seems practical/necessary. I wondered if I'd get to this point and it appears I have. Should I stop tying? Give flies away for the free beer my brother brings me? Keep them for when I lose the flies in my current boxes and refill them? These questions bother me while I'm at the vise, but this tying thing has become a hobby/addiction and I don't want to stop tying because my boxes are full. Can I donate some flies to some charity or Project Healing Waters? What do ya'll do when this happens?
rmalling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Mayor

Default Re: What To Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalling

What do ya'll do when this happens?
I'd tie up more flies, buy some more boxes and fish like hell. You can't tie enough flies.... Oh, and change your thinking, tie some warm water stuff, like Clousers and chit....

Plan ahead for summer time

BHR
Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sometimes I wish I had this problem. When I tie, its usually to tie up a half dozen of a few patterns the night before an outting and shove them all in my "flies of the day" box. I'm struggling to finally put together a fully stocked tailwater box, but this ultra cold weather is helping... gotta stay inside and keep tying...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
silent_light

I have the perfect solution :
Fish with friends who love your patterns. I do it all the time, and by the end of the day my boxes have been picked clean

I have about a dozen boxes, all kinds of stuff. By necessity i have become an ultra minimalist - no vest, bare bones gear. I use a "Fly Fishing Utility Belt" that holds only 4 boxes, tippett, water - thats it. Those 4 boxes consist of the 3-4 dozen patterns i fish the most and are the most productive all the time. Keeps it all simple and allows me to concentrate on technique/presentation more than wondering which bug out of a thousand i want to throw next.

99% of the time its not the fly - its how you fish the water you are in.

I still have a super-addiction to tying, and do have gobs of flies i've though up, i just dont bring it all with me !!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just do what some guys do and lose your favorite box at the stream. Great excuse for tying up more, after the teeth gnashing, profanity strings, etc.
knute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knute
Just do what some guys do and lose your favorite box at the stream. Great excuse for tying up more, after the teeth gnashing, profanity strings, etc.
Like S_L & Funk?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
silent_light

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadheadred
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knute
Like S_L & Funk?
Just when i had gotten over it..... ( 1000+ in one hit)......

It happens in my advanced stages of decrepitude
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

buy a bag to keep your waders in with pockets and leave in the bag the bigger patterns that aren't going to fish as well in this cold water. I have about ten boxes and I take them all with me but when I get out of the truck I take the flies that match up with the water i'm fishing. if i need another patter I can always go back to the truck, but I have never had to do that either..
orvis4wt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Boy I wish I had that problem. Never can seem to find the time to sit at the vice.
fly_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send them to Project Healing Waters. You have my address!
I'll send you back a donation receipt.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in