What to tie? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to tie?

A few years ago I made the mistake of buying a very expensive Vise and a bunch of tying materials. Long story short I only tied for a few weeks because I was 10 and my flies looked like...

I recently tied about a dozen wooly buggers and used up all my marabou and most of my hackle so I was wondering what easy and productive flies that I could start to tie and what materials would be needed for those flies. Thanks. If anywhere I would fish the blue river in the middle of the town in Breck or by chatfield because I don't really know where to go
         ><>         <><           <><

I like Fish <><
jpt1016 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: What to tie?

Pheasant tail.

You old enough to drive? I can point you in a few directions.
fly_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm 13...My dad fly fishes, occasionally.

I like Fish <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Dude, make your dad take you down to Charlie Craven's fly shop and buy his book... Read it and work your way through it and you will become an excellent tyer. It is truly an easy way to learn how to tie... WELL!!

Good luck, and stay with it. I sure wish I had started at 10!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I heartily second Oyey's advice.

I am a beginning fly tyer (started 3 weeks ago) and the Craven book is very helpful.

If you follow the sequencing in the book, you will learn the fundamental skills while producing flies that will catch fish. I tied some black beauty midges and was thrilled to catch a few fish using them.

Also, if you follow the steps in the book, you don't have to buy a large amount of supplies at once. You can get a small supply of materials for the "base fly" and a couple of variations. When you get good at those flies, you can move on to the next set of flies.

Have fun!
pludwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey
Dude, make your dad take you down to Charlie Craven's fly shop and buy his book... Read it and work your way through it and you will become an excellent tyer. It is truly an easy way to learn how to tie... WELL!!

x2

Or, ebay the vise and use the money to buy flies.
Lol ^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey

Alright I think I can get my dad to drive there....I hope

I like Fish <><
Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Next week (Feb. 12) there is going to be a big fly tying event in Denver, The West Denver Trout Unlimited Fly Tying Clinic, is from 9:00am -3PM and offers people a chance to visit with some of the best tiers in the world and ask questions and watch them tie. Check it out here. http://www.westdenvertu.org/Fly-Tying-Clinic.html.

I hope to see you there!

Juan
Old 02-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Next time your coming up to breckinridge hit me up with a PM I'll teach you anything you want. Listen to the other as well. Gotsta keep good youth coming to the sport
Old 02-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Colorado is midge country! This is good because most midges are easy to tie and only require 3-4 materials. Black beauties, zebras, miracle midges, basic thread and wire midge, etc all will catch you fish on most CO rivers (do a google search on those names and I'm sure you'll find a few tutorials). Being able to tie your own midges is most certainly cost-effective right off the bat, and an easy way to get serious about fly tying.

Buy some small hooks (#18-22 is a good start), a couple different natural thread colors (black, olive, gray, white, brown), and a few different colors in copper wire... BOOM! You got yourself materials for about 5-10 different types of midge patterns, maybe more... all of them will produce fish if you will them to.

Also agree with the other fellas regarding Charlie's. Check out his store and check out his site (and his book if you want to go the distance), easily the best teaching tool out there for beginners aside from a teacher in front of you to show you a few tricks.

Also, I feel your pain about not being able to drive... I remember starting out FFing when I was about 12, and was pretty limited to days on the water in that I had to drag my dad out or my friend and his dad in order to get to the river... Get out as much as you can, and then when you finally turn 16 and get your license, the world will open up to you. Granted, at that point, it proabbly won't be trout that you'll be chasing...
Old 02-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

x2 on the midges.

I just recently caught a bow on the Blue with a midge I tied. It wasn't even a recipe that I followed.

I just knew I wanted a hint of flash, black and red and I tied up a little midge that worked great on the Blue.

Plus, I hate paying $2-$3 on a fly so small and that takes so little material!
vitesse304 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in