tube flies - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default tube flies

I recently saw a Youtube video of a guy that was tying flies similar to a wooly bugger that were tied directly on a fairly long plastic tube rather than tying the fly on a hook. The line goes through the tube/fly. A fairly large "trailing" hook is tied onto the line behind the tubefly. It took a special vise attachment that held the tube while it was being tied.

According to the guy on the video he had an easier time hooking fish with a tube fly than a regular fly tied on a hook. I was wondering if anyone has tried these before and how well they work?
jims is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: tube flies

Koldkut Has tied some send him a PM
Old 02-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have the tools, and I have the flies, I just have not fished them in credible enough locations to give an accurate description of how they work for real trout in more commonly fished places. For fresh stockers in eastern Colorado plains ponds, they work great....keeping the flies and hooks together sucks though.

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/fly...-adapters.html

Same adapter I have, and it works nicely. Wish it had something more to hold the tubes in place when I've got to crank down on the tension, it tends to turn a bit. Tubes do make some seriously nice full bodied buggers. I want to try some of the flex tubing to get more articulated action from my tube flies.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Decently cheap source for tubes: plastic cotton swabs. Come in quite a few colors - red is great. Found that in an article in Fly Tyer a few years ago.

Am seriously considering getting the tube fly conversion for the Nor-Vise. Tubes are a great idea for fish that tear flies up. Think they'd work great for the semi-steelhead type patterns we fish for kokanee in the fall.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

last year i played with then while trying to conserve hooks, they worked very well. i didn't like the storage of the pattern at all, i like hooks in the foam of my box, to clearly see my assortment, every thing cluped together, rolling around sucked IMO
Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have never tied any of these, but the tutorials that were within the link Koldkut posted does make it look fun to tie.
abbner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ok, here's a goofy question - how in the world does the hook get secured to the tubing?
abbner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbner
Ok, here's a goofy question - how in the world does the hook get secured to the tubing?
It doesn't really, you have the tube you tie the fly on, and then a larger softer tube, like what you use with your fishtank stuff that slips just over the end of the tube. The eye of the hook will rest in there and hold in place just enough with the right tube to let go and slide up the line when you hook a fish. I have some smaller salmon fly hooks where the eye will ride inside the larger tube diameter with just enough resistance to work well. With a streamer pattern that you are moving a lot, I don't think it would matter much since the hook would be pushing the fly around.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

You slip the tippet through the tube and then tie on to the hook, right?
knute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

The hook eye is pushed into a piece of soft, flexible "junction tubing" that is forced onto the stiff, plastic shaft. For steelhead flies, we generally use hooks like Gamakatsu Octopus, Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gaps, or Owner SSWs. By using tube flies, it allows you to tie a very large, long fly, but use a small, wide gap hook that has better holding power than a comparable longer hook. The longer hook of a typical fly gives the fish a lot of leverage to pry a hook out, tube flies resolve that issue to some degree. The fly also has a tendency to slide up the line once the hook releases from the junction tubing with a fish on...helps reduce wear and tear on your fly.
sleestak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in