Flies under UV light? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flies under UV light?

Blaine and AJ in our fly shop mentioned this to me the other day. One of them had a pocket UV light like many of us have for curing UVKS, etc, and were comparing flies in the 'guide box' (i.e. ask the guys at the counter in the fly shop at BPS about it), and obviously everything blue was showing up mighty bright. Blaine and AJ guide up in RMNP and blue is always a consistently producing color there.

I tie a fair amount of stuff with fluorescent color thread, but was surprised by the freekin' *glow in the dark* look of a bug I've been working on as a favor for my friend Char Bloom (the gal who guides in pink shirts and pink vests in a pink, teal, and purple Hyde drift boat). I had joked a few years ago about tying up a 'pink box' of all pink flies. Or at least pink themed ones. I usually tie my personal spin on John Barr's Graphic Caddis in yellow olive thread with chartreuse wire in the tubing... and I just got some fluorescent pink UTC thread, had the other materials at home, and came up with this. I've seen pink used in a lot of things like Copper Johns, and wondered if a 'pink caddis' might also work on tailwaters, mistaken as a shrimp tumbling by, or a funky caddis?

Compared it to the originals, and they look particularly dull under longwave UV. These, however glow like crazy, both the thread, and surprisingly enough, the light grey ostrich herl. (For that shade, there has to be some blue in the dye used)

What other colors have you guys experimented with for the UV kick? Fluorofibre is bright, as always.

(Yeah, I have an old school 80's style black light that I use... used to collect fluorescent minerals... and I'm a bit of a geek anyway)

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Flies under UV light?

You know me, I like glow in the dark stuff, get more attention than other bright materials
Old 03-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

I love chartruese and UV Calibaetis dubbing which glows with or without the UV light... that stuff is on a LOT of my patterns.

Oh yeah, can't forget the purple helmet!!! (that is a highly guarded secret)
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Now you have done it!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
silent_light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey
I love chartruese and UV Calibaetis dubbing which glows with or without the UV light... that stuff is on a LOT of my patterns.

Oh yeah, can't forget the purple helmet!!! (that is a highly guarded secret)
The Purple helmet, one hell of a fish catcher
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Trout have a much broader spectrum of colors visible to them than say a human does. So they notice those fluorescent colors more than we do. A lot of guys back east tie in UV hot spots of different colors of thread as collars on their flies. I've played around with it a little bit on the rivers here in CO and it does make a difference.

On the purple.... My float guide through Green sect. A swore by a big ant pattern he tied up in purple. I can attest to it's fish-catching ability.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nice bug!

SS
Old 03-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

I like to use chartruese as well.

There was some article recently that talked about how purple was the last color a fish could see in different light conditions and how it looks like a bunch of other colors to the fish. It was basically supporting why purple was so effective.

My Youtube Page with my Fishing Videos --> http://www.youtube.com/user/troutah?feature=mhee
im trout of here is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingal
I usually tie my personal spin on John Barr's Graphic Caddis in yellow olive thread with chartreuse wire in the tubing...
Hi there - can you tell me what you mean by "wire in the tubing"? Do you insert wire inside tubing such as clear larva lace or something? Sounds interesting, but I am not sure what you mean. Thanks for the help!
mmfishin19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmfishin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingal
I usually tie my personal spin on John Barr's Graphic Caddis in yellow olive thread with chartreuse wire in the tubing...
Hi there - can you tell me what you mean by "wire in the tubing"? Do you insert wire inside tubing such as clear larva lace or something? Sounds interesting, but I am not sure what you mean. Thanks for the help!
Here's a big discussion about that exact subject!
https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...?topic=58138.0

Happy reading.
DozerF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in