Bass Flies - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bass Flies

So I threw some cork poppers at the lake across from my house after work tonight just to practice my casting, but nothing hit. I wasn't really trying for a fish, just chilling out. I ran into a spin fisherman who told me he has been slaying largemouth all week right across the street from my house! He had the pics on his phone to prove it. He said he was using "blue gill" colors on his lures, plastic worms, and other spin fisherman thingamajigs I know nothing about. He offered to lend me his other rod and reel so I too could enjoy these fish, but I couldn't do it. I WILL catch a largemouth on the long rod, soon 30 seconds from my house!

I also want it to be on a home tied fly. I fished for trout for a few years on store bought flies and haven't tied one of those on in over a year since I started tying. I want to cross over into Bass patterns, but I'm intimidated with the hair, lead eyes, etc. that I see on bass flies. I tie woolly buggers and that's as close as I have come to streamers.

So, what do you all suggest for effective largemouth patterns that are easy for a home tyer such as myself to get into? Clouser minnows look easy enough, but of course I have none of the materials (Am I about to embark on a new area of fly tying that will led to a need for more tying material storage, more $, and another addiction?) Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!!
rmalling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 05:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bass Flies

The clouser is a pretty easy tie, but if you want easy and affective, just tie up some big cone head wooley buggers... in dark olive and add a little orange... Maybe use two feathers for your body, brown/orange or even blue orange.

Not sure where you are located, but I have a bunch of extra buck tail I would share. that said, the bugger may be the preferred fly. If you go in the fly archive and go to page two, I posted the wanna be, which is a little longer tie than a bugger, but it slays bass. Good luck, and get it done right away, pond fishing is turning on and the best is not going to last forever.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey
The clouser is a pretty easy tie, but if you want easy and affective, just tie up some big cone head wooley buggers... in dark olive and add a little orange... Maybe use two feathers for your body, brown/orange or even blue orange.

Not sure where you are located, but I have a bunch of extra buck tail I would share. that said, the bugger may be the preferred fly. If you go in the fly archive and go to page two, I posted the wanna be, which is a little longer tie than a bugger, but it slays bass. Good luck, and get it done right away, pond fishing is turning on and the best is not going to last forever.
X2 wooly Buggers. You can tie them in crazy colors and add rubbler legs as well. This time a year you would be very lucky if you got a bass to take a popper off of the surface.
Most streamers you would tie for trout would probably work for bass as well. Something with a lot of movement and some flash. You could probably invent something pretty easily for bass.
explodedlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

x3 on the wooly bugger idea. I caught both my biggest bass (22" and 18") and a whole ton of little guys (less than 15") on wooly buggers. The big ones were caught on a bead head black/olive bugger. The maribou and hackle were black. The chenile was olive. I should tie a few of those up and hit up the ponds up here! I need my bass fix.
DozerF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't really like wooly buggers. Too much of a general pattern, you never really know what the fish was thinking when he took it. I prefer rabbit strip patterns like double bunny minnows or just a plain black rabbit strip leech. The slumpbuster is a good leech pattern and is easy to tie, and the rabbit fur has tons of motion underwater that can't be beat. Muddler minnows are awesome too, it takes a bit of experimenting, but you can tie the heads sparse enough and they will actually suspend in the water column, something most presentations don't do at all.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would also encourage you to go a try regular tackle for bass. You can cover more area and this allows you to get a better idea of how the bass are behaving and and under what conditions they feed on and so on...It WILL help your flyfishing and will allow you to become more in tune to what the bass are doing which in turn allows you to choose the correct presentation or approach or whatever, or maybe just to give it up for the day because they won't be biting anyway. I have found that you just can't learn very much about bass behavior by using a flyrod unless you already have some bassin experience.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've been catching a few on a meat whistle lately. Haven't been able to go try hardcore yet, but a few short outings are making me think that it will be a killer pattern.
Yearnin-fer Naknek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Mayor

Take this for what it is worth, Clousers and Buggers will catch bass. If conditions are right, big frog poppers (or any big top water fly) can get your heart pounding...

I've caught a lot of bass on the fly the last 2 years

BHR
Old 03-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadheadred
Take this for what it is worth, Clousers and Buggers will catch bass. If conditions are right, big frog poppers (or any big top water fly) can get your heart pounding...

I've caught a lot of bass on the fly the last 2 years

BHR
I wanna give you mad props Dean, but your sig line gets me every time!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey

I wanna give you mad props Dean, but your sig line gets me every time!!!
Truth. I'll change the pic and the signature.... Hope ya'll like boots, dusters, hats & guns..... give me a couple days, gotta head to west Texas in the morning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in