Hackle online? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 PM  

Default Hackle online?

The hackle shortage has hit me and I need a good online source. It's too hard to find here and I can't find ANY colors... arrrg!

So anybody know a good cheap site that has good selection still?
fisheyb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 05:28 PM  
silent_light

Default Re: Hackle online?

Everyone is out. Gotta wait for the chicks to grow into roosters.... 2012 is the next time you'll see any quantity again. The planet got bought out. There are a finite number of chickens that the hackle is harvested from, theres never been such demand.

SOME shops have a few grizzly saddles under the counter - get some dye and do what you can. For the most part - theres simply nothing left but browns and other plain hair colors - no grizzly in any color.
  Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 PM  

Send your Western Union Money order to the following Nigerian address........

I'm sorry - just had to do that!

Bob
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 06:32 PM  
silent_light

Ive got 3 Whiting Bronze Grade full grizzly saddles, thinking about doing some custom dying and parting one of them out...... we'll see...
Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 PM  

I have sold a ton of feathers lately that I aquired in a trade... I can't believe how much I have made... And I have doubled my amount of tying feathers... got a great grizzly saddle that I just use markers on for colors... I would hate to need that stuff right now... nearly every item I sold was bought by a hair stylist or artist.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 PM  

I saw a young woman in the store over the weekend with likely the equivalent of my mortgage in those accursed hair extensions. Ditzy blonde had what seemed like a full Whiting 100 pack in her stylish locks. Grrrr. That's a lotta flies, princess. And she's the kind of girl who would be impossible to go do anything in the outdoors with, anyway, fellas... one of those 'I broke a nail' types...

Well, maybe you could go after her with a scissors and get some of those feather things out of her hair... that's an idea... oh, honey, just hold still while I yank these things out of your hair... finally, a real use for a trophy wife!

Yeah, this is SO not cool in my book... :P

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 03:57 PM  

So I stopped into a local shop that has a stock of hackle in a lot of varieties. It's in Boulder, and that's the heart of the stylist craze. Anyway, there were 2 chicks that had no interest in tying hovering around the hackle, and another that walked in with the same intent. Now, since supply and demand is what it is, each saddle/cape is from $200 to $250 each!! One of the stylists had the nerve to try and argue with the poor owner that he's charging too much and trying to rip her off, and how she wasted her time driving from Denver......blah blah blah.

Anyhoo, he stood there and took her lashing, much to his credit he just said that's what it's going for now. I was kinda fuming (at the nerve of the stylist), and thought about letting her know what the hairstylist is doing to the tyer, but I didn't. Just crazy to think last year how 'cheap' $90 was for a nice saddle/cape.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:45 PM  

price of $2.95 flies are going to be $20.00 pretty soon
Old 05-17-2011, 08:13 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720fly
price of $2.95 flies are going to be $20.00 pretty soon
Ya think? If you link onto Charlie's Flybox online store... note... he'll sell you hackle if you tie flies... not hair extensions...

This just *so* rubs me the wrong way.... wasn't so long ago that Whiting was sending out cards with their pro staff to sell rooster *mounts*... can't imagine what they go for now...

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 10:34 PM  
silent_light

most shops are turning tail now and siding with the tyers, so if you ask - they will still sell them to the tyer at the normal price and the stylists can shop elsewhere.

From Charlies website - " These saddles are NOT sold for hair extensions, only real fly tyers!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in