A new low in my fly tying career-purists, don't look! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A new low in my fly tying career-purists, don't look!

I was just hanging around the office tonight with too much time on my hands, always a dangerous thing. I was playing around with some mylar tubing, something I don't use very much. I came up with this:

It's about 4 inches long and jointed!

I was trying for a baby rainbow, but I think it looks more like a neon tetra. I know this is blasphemy, especially for those of you dry flyers. Usually I'm a nympher and the most sinful thing I do is throw a bugger. I've been known to throw an rare Rapala on a flyrod though, and I wanted make my sins better by tying my own. I think I'm going to burn in flyfisher's hell for this!
silicone boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: A new low in my fly tying career-purists, don't look!

I love it! Would like to see the recipe sometime, if it ever becomes available. It's gotta be a killer.
knute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dude, sweet. I dig and hope to hear about how it swims... and any improvements you might consider... I would love to tie up something like that. I have had a simmilar concept on my mind for a while (swimbaitesque).
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'll put up some pics soon that will give a better idea of how I tied it. I know it won't swim in a rhythmic, wobbly fashion like a real Rapala. The front section is weighted so it will have some action like an articulated leech. I think it's a good thing that it won't swim as well as a Rapala. I think it will flop more like a wounded minnow in between strips, making it an enticing target for those big browns. Maybe I could put a lip on it. I have been playing with a mylar spoonfly similar to the saltwater redfish flies, and it has a killer wobbly action. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow. Obviously, I'm getting tired of tying #26 midges all the time
Old 04-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here are a couple of other abominations I made in the past week. They are spoonflies, which are used a lot in saltwater fishing. The spoon is made out of mylar tubing tied to a curvy hook and impregnated with epoxy. They have a killer action, very much like a wounded fish. You'll have to excuse me for the rough appearance. These are the early versions.

A baby rainbow:

Top view showing how the hook is oriented relative to the mylar spoon:

A shad variant with a chamois tail, which really flitters when stripped:

I first encountered the chamois streamer on the North Platte, when a guide showed me a pattern called the epoxy minnow, orignally a bass pattern but the big browns didn't seem to care!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

All good stuff. Post up results pics!

It's interesting that, before I started flyfishing a few years ago, I had a little 2.5 to 3" homemade soft plastic jerkbait that I made from the tail end of a Sluggo and a long shank#6 to 10 size hook, and used to cast with an ultralight spinning outfit. First time I ever used it, just twitching, letting it rest/slowly sink, then twitching it again, etc. (just like I had been fishing for bass and pike with regular 6" Sluggos), I had smaller but keeper sized rainbows shooting right out of the water. Couldn't cast it very far (but far enough for most applications) and had trouble with hook-ups due to too much rubber taking up hook gape space, but eventually added a trailer hook which helped. That erratic, twitch and pause with a slow sink seems to be a strike stimulator. Anyway, those are good-looking ties you have there. Good luck.
knute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Knute, you bring up a good point that got me into making what most would consider "lures". At the beginning of the last century, the forerunners of today's lures were actually casted with flyrods. Spinning gear had not appeared on the scene yet, and the baitcaster rods of the day could not deal with such lightweight lures. If you do an eBay search for "flyfishing lures" you will see an assortment of swimbaits, spinners (I saw one much like the yellow Panther Martin with red dots) and plugs from the early 1900's all meant to be cast by a long rod.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Flures are fun
Old 04-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Anybody try the epoxy 'spoon flies' in Fly Tyer - you use Silly Putty to create the mold the epoxy goes in... crazy.. like the idea of 'em though. Silicone boy, you rock!

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Silicon Boy those rock...I know some wipers that would love that first one...

Keep up the great work!...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in