RIP Shane Stalcup - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to goldentrout17
Default RIP Shane Stalcup

I was just made away that Shane had passed away earlier this month and figured I should post the news. He was truly a pioneer in fly tying materials and techniques. I met him once a long time ago and he was a super nice guy. His talent will be missed for a long time to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: RIP Shane Stalcup

He was really one of the few innovative tyers. I never met him, but the people I knew who did always had nice things to say about him. Condolences to his friends and family.
funkmastersnowshoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

I saw Flyfishinfool's post about Shane in Fly Fishing... man, that's really too bad.

Shane was a uniquely talented, very smart, very nice guy. He will really be missed.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Holy Hell man... I just saw this on a blog. I am so bummed that he is gone. SHANE WAS THE MAN!

I actually might never have started tying if it were not for Shane Stalcup. His innovative combination of impressionistic and imitative patterns were the impetus for my initial forays into the black arts of fly tying.

I looked at a pheasant tail and thought "whatever"

I looked at a Stalcup emerging Drake and thought "Holy $hit, I need to learn how to do THAT!!"

Dude was a god among men, and I will be happy to admit that I will NEVER be half the tier that Shane was.

I know that he was not well, but I guess I figured he would be around for a while longer...

Weak.

SS
Old 10-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hop

Lynn, I know my comment is late, but I had not heard this sad news (been out of the loop). Hope people don't mind this post bumping the thread back up to the top.

It's rather strange, but believe it or not I clicked over here on "Fly Tying" specifically with Shane Stalcup on my mind. I know from conversations that some high country anglers swear by his gilled nymph, and at Sportsman's we sold his highly regarded volume Mayflies: Top to Bottom. I had heard of his lofty reputation before knowing he was a fellow Coloradan. Would have enjoyed meeting him and observing his superb skills.

"Your life is but a vapor ..." Shane was exactly my age, and evidently also a resident of Broomfield. Sobering, but reality. Hmm.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

New to the forum and stumbled across this thread.

Shane was truely an innovator beyond his years. I recall Shane took up tying flies before we were in High School. (late 70's) Graduation Day was wonderfull as we all gathered at Shane's house and was treated to as many of his newest creations as we wanted. I am reminded of my days taking up Pike fishing on flys. Shane turned me on to some of the most exotic furry cridders you can tie on a line...

R.I.P Shane..... We all miss you!!
Jay B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in