Dubbing Blending - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dubbing Blending

I'm sort of new to this technique, but I've been messing around with it the past few weeks and making some really nice flies that I can't wait to try out when runoff finally subsides. (If yall are interested I can post a few)

I was hoping some of you had some experience with this, as far as successes, failures, and maybe even some tricks/techniques if you're willing to share.

I know about a few of the different ways of doing this. I think the most common is using the coffee grinder, starting with a base dubbing, and going from there. Also there is Charlie Craven's method of putting the different dubbings together in a plastic bag and using compressed air to mix them around.

I've been using a more crude method, as I'm still experimenting and figuring out exactly what color combo I'm looking for. I take a pinch of the base dubbing, about enough for 4-5 flies, and then just start pulling it apart and putting it back together with another dubbing that I'm trying to combine it with. I've made some really nice combos, my favorite so far being with SLF Gray Squirrel Spiky dubbing, mixed with SLF Prismatic in Olive/Brown. The flash of the prismatic added to the spiky guard hairs of the squirrel makes for some really nice subtly flashy collars on my flies, and creates a nice buggy/leggy look that allows me to be lazier and not have to tie in extra materials for legs.

When I do finally settle on a few different combos I like, I am going to start producing/storing them in mass quantities, most likely with the coffee grinder method - as the "pull and put back together" method isn't all that practical in that sense unless you're only tying a half dozen flies. I know that there is a little bit of science involved here, in that you want the base dubbing to have smaller fibers in order to better mix/trap the longer ones on the additional dubbings added to the base.

Any feedback/input/tips are appreciated. Thanks!

One more thing - anybody know a shop in the area that carries a decent/decently priced dubbing loop tool? For some reason I'm having trouble finding one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Dubbing Blending

I've only used craven's method, and I gotta say, it's awesome. I'd much rather spend 2.99 on a can of air than $15 on a coffee grinder just for doing dubbing. Have you tried the canned-air-in-a-bag method yet? So far, I've been able to combine a bunch of different kinds of dubbing. I was worried about combining the SLF prismatic stuff with natural hair (like you mentioned) but it worked like a charm. And the next time you sit down to tie that fly again, you'll have it all pre-mixed in its own bag.
DozerF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in