Flies on jighead's??? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flies on jighead's???

I spend a lot of my fishing time on trout waters, with a spinning rod. Also being a novice fly fisherman, I can really see the advatages that a fly gives you in certain situtitions. I have spent a couple of hours googling and the only example I find is people tying salmon and steelhead jigs.
Couple of questions:
Why would some patterns not be effective on colorado trout as well?
I could see were woolly buggers, autumn splendors, and such would be very effective.
But what about small patterns? Basically anything with a beadhead?
where would one go to find someone to tie such things?
Thanks gang.
FISHJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Flies on jighead's???

Tie what ever you like! Seriously there are no rules for tying your own flies. If you think it might work give it a try. Some of my best producing patterns would be scoffed at by many fly fisherman. I love it when someone asks what are you using, and I show them and then they say you catch trout with that!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

A wickedly killer fly tied on a jig hook is the Hairy Fodder, by Craig Riendau. Rainy's picked them up a few years ago - excellent as a bass catcher, also thrown as a trout streamer, mighty fine for big fish!

Tied on a jig hook, the Eagle Claw 410, the original pattern is designed so the eyes can be swapped out - great idea for tailwater fishing when you don't know how much the flow will be.

I've tied these up without the interchangeable eyes (just tied em on like on clousers), and can definitely chuck them with a spin rod quite some distance.

I'm a huge fan of the 'naturally weedless' behavior of jigs, as the hook rides with the tip up. Am working on some for salmon in obnoxious colorways - some places we fish need a lot of weight on or near the hook just to get down to where the fish are.

I'm a huge fan of the shaped and painted 'minnow head' jigs available for walleye and bass fishing - they just cry out for a fine dressing of fur, hair, feathers and flash...

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

They work. Experiment. Umpqua makes some decent jig heads for tying flies from 1/32- 1/180 oz. Wooly buggers, hares ears, damsels, stoneflies, leeches, baitfish, crayfish patterns can all be tied on micro-jigs. They work all year - but I've done better in spring & fall with 'em. Salmon & steelhead jigs do work out here-sometimes. Think simple, marabou or fur, jigs are easy to tie ,& too effective to ignore.
fish fetish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Micro jigs should be in the same category as live bait. Better, actually, cause they don't die.

PSC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in