Have a Favorite Fly Tying Book? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hop

Default Have a Favorite Fly Tying Book?

What's up, hook-wrappers? Don't get around your (exclusive) neighborhood very often, but it's not for want of admiration. I genuinely look up to (& envy) you guys (+ Nancy). You've cultivated a really neat skill, I think. Wish I could be among your number.

Anyway, Shane Stalcup's passing put me in mind of his great book, Mayflies Top to Bottom, and I got to thinking that perhaps a decent thread topic for the Fly Tying section might be this question:

Do you have a personal favorite fly tying book that you would place on top of the stack?

I know of course that we're in the cyber-age where so much is accessed online or via DVD's, and maybe I won't get much of a response. But still, is there perhaps a particularly excellent volume that you skillful tiers hold near & dear to your heart? I think we'd all enjoy your sharing (whether it be - in alphabetical order - Best, Cordes, Craven, Gathercole, Hughes, Kaufman, Lafontaine, Leeson & Schollmeyer, Stallcup, etc. or somebody totally different).

Any titles come to mind?

God bless you all, Hop
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 04:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Have a Favorite Fly Tying Book?

pretty simple for me. Charlie Craven... his first one... IMO the perfect way to teach fly tying.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think that Charlie Cravens first book is great not just for a beginner tier but for tiers that are interested in which feathers, thread and hair to use for certain bugs.. (it's a good read for anybody).

Lets not forget one of the better tiers and fisherman out there also.. Pat Dorsey is pretty darn good to folks.. if your a midge fisherman Pats books can get you along way also..

I can also say that I have went back and looked for older patterns of some of my Kaufman books also..
orvis4wt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have been tying flies, both personally and professionally for 17+ years (not to toot my own horn or anything ) and I am going to echo that Charlie Craven's Basic fly tying is one of the best books currently available. I have learned a few new and extremely helpful tricks from that book. Also if you ever get to watch Charlie tie, take full advantage of it, he is a true master of the craft.

Another book I constantly go back to, espically living here in CO is Ed Engle's Tying Small Flies. It is a great book to develop your tying with smaller stuff all the way down to a size 32. (I personally have never fished with a size 32). Great if you fish a lot of tailwaters.

Both those books are great instructional books, but for a pattern/idea book, my favorite is Trout Flies of the West by Jim Schollmeyer and Ted Leeson. There are a lot of great (and oftentimes bizzare) patterns withing its pages. Its a great book to look through to get ideas for your own patterns.
explodedlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Charlie's book is definitely awesome for those little tricks of the trade that you won't pick up from basic tutorials on fly patterns. It's amazing when you get to watch those seasoned vets tie, you'll pick up on those subtle techniques that can make a world of a difference. I was even thinking about showing up to the next tying show with a video camera, if they allow it .

Another book that will probably get mentioned again is Modern Midges. Not a great step-by-step book by any means, but I love just browsing through the thousands of flies pictured and picking and pulling certain characteristics of different midge patterns and incorporating them into my own. I have been very successful with this in developing my own midges for tailwaters around the state, that I can happily call my own, despite only changing one or two materials... Seems like that's the trend these days anyways, but I'm not trying to get my go-tos published - then the fish will smarten up and they'll stop being go-tos!

Pat Dorsey's books are definitely good. I have his Fly Fishing Tailwaters book, which also has a solid list of patterns for those rivers in CO. His other book, that is exclusively fly patterns, is a little too much like the first book though if you ask me... I'd suggest getting one or the other.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yep, Charlie's first book for me too.
DozerF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

I cut my teeth with Randall Kaufmanan's books. Had the nymph book first and got the dry fly book later. I haven't ever seen Craven's book so can't compare the two. Kaufman's books(in my opinion) taught everything a person needs to know.
Yearnin-fer Naknek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Most of what's mentioned above is great. I was at the library today and found a copy of Jim Schollmeyer and Ted Leeson - "Tying Emergers". This book is packed with patterns (emergers obviously) but there are 58 very detailed and excellent pages of techniques that anyone can learn a ton from.

Another decent one more for patterns, not a ton of detailed instruction is Dick Talleur's "Trout Flies for the 21st Century"
Old 11-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

I notice no one mentioned Barr Flies... I liked that book as well... Much of what I like about Charlie's and Barr's books is the way the flies are presented (all done by Charlie). Easy to follow, and never sparing the details. I also dig the pics!!! I am a sucker like that.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hop

So Oyey (& all) is it the type of thing where after tying a given fly x number of times you come to have it memorized and no longer need to look at the book or DVD? So do you then build up a repertoire or library of flies that you can tie on a moment's notice (the way a good cook is with many dishes he/she has mastered)?

If that's the case, just curious, about how many different fly patterns do you know by heart? Do some people know literally hundreds? How many ties does it usually take before you have it down?

Anyway, is that how it works?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in