Kinda weird... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kinda weird...

So this last year has been a rough one for me... I found myself with injuries that kept me off the water and off the vise. I have been a grumpy man, and found myself becoming lazy after recovering from what was holding me back to begin with... So... F'n pitty party over. I told a good friend that I was looking forward to next year, hoping it will be better... He said, forget about next year and think about today. This was shortly after my mess on the mountain... Well, since then, I have felt much better and have fished more, and find myself in very good spirits. The excersize has been great and I feel my lungs and legs coming back.

So to the weird part... My elbow has been good enough to tie for about 2 months now, and I have not tied much. And I have found it hard to sit down and tie. This is a pass time I love, but for some reason I haven't come back to it.

So, I have decided that the time has come to get back on the horse.. I have some time tonight and I am going back to what I enjoyed so much.

The forum has been a bit of a mess lately, and I am not innocent. This place helped my skills immensely and I plan on givin a little back in the coming months. I will post up my first efforts tomorrow. Thanks for listening and thanks to all that have helped me so much.
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Kinda weird...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey
So this last year has been a rough one for me... I found myself with injuries that kept me off the water and off the vise. I have been a grumpy man, and found myself becoming lazy after recovering from what was holding me back to begin with... So... F'n pitty party over. I told a good friend that I was looking forward to next year, hoping it will be better... He said, forget about next year and think about today. This was shortly after my mess on the mountain... Well, since then, I have felt much better and have fished more, and find myself in very good spirits. The excersize has been great and I feel my lungs and legs coming back.

So to the weird part... My elbow has been good enough to tie for about 2 months now, and I have not tied much. And I have found it hard to sit down and tie. This is a pass time I love, but for some reason I haven't come back to it.

So, I have decided that the time has come to get back on the horse.. I have some time tonight and I am going back to what I enjoyed so much.

The forum has been a bit of a mess lately, and I am not innocent. This place helped my skills immensely and I plan on givin a little back in the coming months. I will post up my first efforts tomorrow. Thanks for listening and thanks to all that have helped me so much.
Dude, I'm not stranger to problems, at least I have nothing physical ailing me, but I have not honestly sat down and tied for nearly 5 months. And I've had time.... Looking forward to seeing what you throw down on tonight.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
silent_light

I hear ya Jason, i havent sat down at th vise in a few weeks either. And in the last months its been custom flies for others so my boxes are bare !
We moved to a much bigger place, my son is back at home now and helping him finish school, hes got foot surgery soon as well so he will be able to walk more than a block again.... just been busy at home or fishin !

Ive got several patterns ive been using/testing all year long, so maybe its time to let em out of the stable >: One is a KILLER carp fly !

Ill show mine of you show yours

At least you know what the problems are, and are able to fix whatever ails ya, thats the first step
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Light
That could really use a no-homo.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hell yeah Jason, get back on that horse! Love to see your flies......
fish fetish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hop

Pulling for you, Jason. I for one understand how motivation can lag sometimes. I battle it too (for anyone who thinks I'm this perfect Christian w/a plastic smile 24/7). I'm confident you'll soon rediscover your enjoyment tying up flies. I just admire what you can do in that regard.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well, I had planned on tying for 2-3 hours last night... but finding my reading glasses proved to be a half hour chore... so I ended up tying for an hour and a half... only tied 9 flies in that time!! Talk about rusty... oh well. I started with 2 of my most used flies (which are all but gone from my boxes, so I will stick with these 2 for a few days). Not perfect ties, but I was pleased considering.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I hear ya Jason, i havent sat down at th vise in a few weeks either. And in the last months its been custom flies for others so my boxes are bare !
We moved to a much bigger place, my son is back at home now and helping him finish school, hes got foot surgery soon as well so he will be able to walk more than a block again.... just been busy at home or fishin !

Ive got several patterns ive been using/testing all year long, so maybe its time to let em out of the stable >: One is a KILLER carp fly !

At least you know what the problems are, and are able to fix whatever ails ya, thats the first step
Thanks for the words Jim... for the record, a portion of the "thanks" sent out in my first post on this thread goes to you.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I had planned on tying for 2-3 hours last night... but finding my reading glasses proved to be a half hour chore... so I ended up tying for an hour and a half... only tied 9 flies in that time!! Talk about rusty... oh well. I started with 2 of my most used flies (which are all but gone from my boxes, so I will stick with these 2 for a few days). Not perfect ties, but I was pleased considering.

If these are your rusty flies...I won't lie, I am really excited to see the flies you tie when you have shaken off the dust. These are fantastic.
explodedlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
silent_light

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the words Jim... for the record, a portion of the "thanks" sent out in my first post on this thread goes to you.
Greatly appreciated !! Been great to see ya come along in your tying too, you've come a long way, flies loook great !
i
So, here's a couple of my secrets from this year :

The "Ava-Craw" Crawdad version of the Avalon Permit Fly ( same fly i tied for Goodtimes for his trip to Cuba which he caught his Permit on). First time i saw this pattern it screamed to be converted into a crawdad ! Bass love it, Carp DEVOUR it ! The rattle on the keel makes it deadly. This one is a sz 6 but they work great up to sz 2. Havent yet tested em on trout yet, but a couple people i make them for have been slaying carp on them.

Next is a commercial pattern called the Western Lady Hopper, however if you use the Hopper Body Cutter from River Road Creations it makes the fly and the process far simpler and better ! I've used this all year long, and have caught fish on it every trip, every month including February. Proves its Hopper Season all year !! Kicks Amy's butt !! THere IS a process to tying this fly, otherwise youll get into some issues while ting it. Tan/Brown and Black/Pink are sweet !
Ill probably post a tutorial in the archive soon for this

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in