Scissors - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scissors

I think my wife got me a gift card to Charlies for Xmas. I'm a master at figuring out her gifts, even though I try not to; found a receipt in her car; wasn't looking, just landed on my lap!

I want some microtip scissors. Question: should I use these for most general cutting of thread, fibers, etc. or reserve them for precise cutting (like parachute hackle trimming)? Will they wear out if used too much?

How about sharpening my standard 3" scissors? Where would I have this done as they are showing their age after 1.5 years of not sharpening.
rmalling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Scissors

the adjustable scissors Charlie recommends are SO nice to use... I have used them for 2 years on every material except wire or meatals and they are sharp as hell... I figure if they are 25 bucks, and last 5 years of good solid dying, they are worth it... right now, they seem as sharp as the day I bought them... oh, I don't cut mcfly foam with them.. heard too many horror stories.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOK.1
After 25 years of frustration my wife has resorted to keeping My gifts "Off Site"
That doesn't stop me from knowing what I get. I usually figure it out before the bow comes off.
I have a set of Micro tips. I cut only "Natural Material" I wont even cut plastic with them.
As far as sharpening an old set I've never done this, so not much help.
Merry Christmas
So, you don't even cut thread with 'em?
knute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you have serrated or straight edges on your scissors, then take a stone, a dremel to them on the flat part of the edge. For serrated edge, and the angle part for straight edge A few strokes will Do it

Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can sharpen scissors as surely as the nice man in China or Pakistan can. Use old pairs to practice on, ou will be amazed what you can do. I have never figured out how to sharpen serrations, but I can cut anything (anything) with any of my scissors without fear, because I can make them factory sharp myself!

Then again, I am in the seventh level of OCD Hell, so I may just be an anomaly.

SS
Old 12-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Solomon
You can sharpen scissors as surely as the nice man in China or Pakistan can. Use old pairs to practice on, ou will be amazed what you can do. I have never figured out how to sharpen serrations, but I can cut anything (anything) with any of my scissors without fear, because I can make them factory sharp myself!

Then again, I am in the seventh level of OCD Hell, so I may just be an anomaly.

SS
That's cool. How's about posting up a video on just how to do it? Now that I think of it, maybe there's already some out there.
knute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

You can also used fine grit sand paper
Old 12-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

I will try to explain a little.

I grind the tips to a needle point for starters. I am able to clip one hackle fiber at its base with the tips sharpened thusly. Yes, I will on occasion poke a hole in my hand with my super sharp scissors.

I have used a bench grinder, a Dremel roto tool, sandpaper, and a flat diamond hone to sharpen the tips. All work fine.

Once the tips are very thin and pointy, I polish them to a mirror shine with fingernail buffers, the sort that have different color sections, each section a different grit of sandpaper. The roughest section is still fairly fine. I guess the sections would rate a 220, 400, 600, and 1000 grit or so. The last stage is as smooth as leather, and will give metal a shine like quicksilver.

It is important to polish any outer edge that you dress, or it may snag and fray the thread.

After the tips are ground, dressed, and polished, I use a diamond hone in a "fine" grit to bevel the edge of the blades. I stroke from the inside edge, or the edge that meets the cutting edge of the other scissor blade, towards the outside edge. If you stroke the blade in the opposite direction, the resulting "burr" that is raised will grind against the burr on the other blade, and really ham up the edge on both blades when you close the scissors. You can get these diamond hones in many well stocked sporting goods stores for twenty bucks or less, usually a lot less. They are found in the fishing, archery, or knife areas.

I would get a cheap pair of Pakistani (they will say Pakistan on the handle) scissors to practice on. They can be had for $3 or thereabouts. The only other thing to do is tension the scissor blades with a small slotted jewelers screwdriver to your liking, (I like the blades a little tight) and give the joint a drop of light machine oil now and then.

You can turn a three dollar pair of Pakistani pig-iron scissors that come with a starter fly tying kit into a pair of Dr. Slicks if you are willing to do the finish work yourself... it is the finish work that is time consuming, and it is the finish work that makes any pair of scissors expensive.

SS
Old 12-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ah, ha ha, yeah... I get off on some tangents, that is for sure. I wish I had all the money I have thrown away with my tinkering...

But the scissor thing is actually pretty easy and quick. It took longer to describe it than it takes to actually do.

Cheers

SS
Old 12-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo
I also have had a lot of success sharpening non-serrated scissors on a stone.
I use the sharpening kit from Spyderco and I also have access to 1000, 6000 and 10,000 grit stones. (My son uses them in his luthier school to sharpen his chisels and planes.)

Kimo
Why is it that I think Kimo's son is a SICK luthier?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in