Parachute BWO pointers - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Parachute BWO pointers

So I have finally got beyond the fear of tying anything with a parachute so I figured it was time to learn the art. I've read what Charlie and a couple others had to say about it but it just feels all wrong wrapping the post because of the weird angles you have to tie it in at. It may just be the fact it's a new technique but geez, there has to be an easier way. The problem I see initially is when I wrap up the post, and I have to change hands holding the chute, the crazy thing gets loose and the thread goes all over. Other than holding on tighter, does anyone have any pointers/tricks on doing this?

I can now see how the 720 can make this an easier task?

Once I get one that resembles a fly I will post a pic.
abbner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Parachute BWO pointers

I wrap down the post...

Strip the quill, tie it in with the post, wind it DOWN and tie off.

Or did I miss something?

BTW, what time is it where you are?

SS
Old 12-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
silent_light

You are missing a Gallows Tool from what i can tell, this will make your life a million times better if tying on a standard vise. WIth a glaoows tool, the clip holds the 'chute up, freeing your hands for other tasks. Again, with a standard vise, you are stuck juggling the thread unfortunately.

1 - theres no weird angles, and like Ss said - tie in the stripped quill alongside the post, wrap thread up then down, trapping the quill along the post. You will end up with your hackle pointing up, and your thread hanging down alongside the post. Wrap the hackle DOWN with the barbs pointing UP. Since quills are not round, you often have to adjust the quill so it lays right, and doesn't rotate to an odd angle or twist when you wrap it down.

As a Pro Staffer for the 720 Vise, i have to say it is a parachute tying machine ! Seriously, i havent ever seen another method or tool that makes it so incredibly simple to tie a perfect parachute fly every time, this opinion was formed before i ever had one.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Solomon
I wrap down the post...

Strip the quill, tie it in with the post, wind it DOWN and tie off.

Or did I miss something?

BTW, what time is it where you are?

SS
I found that if I wrap it down and then angle the fly towards me, tying off and then whip finish from there seems to be a little easier. The last one would probably catch interest but I have a lot of learn to do on these little suckers.

Thanks for sharing your technique. It's much appreciated.

Right now, in Kuwait, it's 0900 Christmas Eve morning. (11pm your time)
Old 12-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Light
You are missing a Gallows Tool from what i can tell, this will make your life a million times better if tying on a standard vise. WIth a glaoows tool, the clip holds the 'chute up, freeing your hands for other tasks. Again, with a standard vise, you are stuck juggling the thread unfortunately.

1 - theres no weird angles, and like Ss said - tie in the stripped quill alongside the post, wrap thread up then down, trapping the quill along the post. You will end up with your hackle pointing up, and your thread hanging down alongside the post. Wrap the hackle DOWN with the barbs pointing UP. Since quills are not round, you often have to adjust the quill so it lays right, and doesn't rotate to an odd angle or twist when you wrap it down.

As a Pro Staffer for the 720 Vise, i have to say it is a parachute tying machine ! Seriously, i havent ever seen another method or tool that makes it so incredibly simple to tie a perfect parachute fly every time, this opinion was formed before i ever had one.
Awesome example! Thanks a ton. The wife got tired of me complaining about my old vise so she went to the Covey and ended up sending me the Renzetti Pres. I absolutely love the vise for everything else and I'm sure I will figure this out.

Just the mechanics of the 720 seems right for this type of job.

Again, thanks for the reply and helping a chute rookie out.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
silent_light

She certainly got you a nice vise, just be sure she gets you a Gallows Tool for it this year Doesn't even have to be a renzetti, any tool on the market should fit. Since you are overseas - one good trick is to bend some stiff welding rod, heavy coat hanger wire, small diameter steel rod to shape, use any light spring and an old pair of hackle pliers and you're in business ! Tons of pics of gallows tools on the web, so figuring it out will be super easy.

The 720 was conceived by a dry fly fisherman, so that was a good part of its design, as well as being a wonderful vise for anything else you can tie.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks to Silents recommendation - the interim gallow. It's ugly but it actually works.
(Packaging tape, coat hanger, pink uni-thread, and one screwed up spring all taped to my lamp - I'm still laughing)

And here's the first one - the hackle didn't turn out very good but it's a good start I think.

#3 (don't ask about #2 - I'm sure I will find it when I'm bare foot)

Thanks to everyone who guided me along on this, I really appreciate it. I still need to find that comfort zone for doing flies like this but it was really fun to tie these little suckers.

(in case you want the specifics -> #18, olive turkey biot, olive hairline dub, 70 den olive thread, white bronze hackle, and the parachute is some white yarn looking stuff I stole from my wifes sewing boxes)
Old 12-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think with your parachute flies...a couple of tiny ..very tiny drops of super glue are your friends.

scroll to page 36.

.http://books.google.com/books?id=Rii...d=0CCoQ6AEwAA#
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

I use rotary hackle pliers made by Tiemco.
http://english.tiemco.co.jp/project/...odity_code=807
They are expensive, but they work well. I tie a lot of parachutes.

It just takes time to get the right "touch". My biggest problem was getting a tight wrap of hackle without it slipping off the post. When you wrap the thread up the post make sure to go back to the hook shank and put a wrap in front of the post and behind the post. This will make the post stiffer.

I hope this helps, Jerry

21483 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

This is a great thread! The tying section is the only place to be this time of year.

Abbner, you are a much better tier than me if your third parachute looks like that!

Kimo, I love that tool you built.

Good stuff fellas!

SS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in