How do you display your flies you have tied? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do you display your flies you have tied?

Okay, I have a project I'm working on. I got the idea from my friend who has one made from similar material.

I'd toyed with the idea of a 'fly cake' for some time. Have yet to find one that really said 'me' and I'm working on it now.

The base is Mopani wood, which I picked up for about $12 or so at Petco. It's a cool driftwood looking kind of wood that's hard and doesn't rot if exposed to water. I just liked the way it looked, and there's a space in there which is going to hold business (ha ha) cards eventually. I have a bunch of all-copper alligator clips I picked up at Radio Shack, and got some 16 ga copper wire to make the 'stems' for them. Have some 4/0 steel wool to clean them up with and some patina solution to give them that beautiful, greenish aged copper look. Am off to tying/craft room to see if I want to create some curves and bends with copper before cleaning and patina. (Had to go to the jeweler's supply for patina, and that opened up a whole other can of worms - hubby wants me to start making jewelry again, and I do kinda miss it)

Will post pics on what I come up with.

I know some of you guys have displays you've made. Think this would a cool place to display what you did.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How do you display your flies you have tied?

I don't have anything like what you are describing but you just gave me one heck of an idea though.
abbner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

my flies are too ugly to display!
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I display mine in neat little rows in foam inside my vest. Not far enough along in this thing to display flies around the house. I see it happening one day when I have my man cave all to myself when the kids move out in 18 years.
rmalling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Typically I display my flies on the end of a fly line.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

I proudly display mine on tree limbs in the Western U.S.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
silent_light

Made a "Fly Cake" from bits from Michaels Hobbies, also went to PetCo and got a small wood tree for a lizard cage - stripped off the bark and glued a bunch of dries along the branches.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wisdom, so far.

1) do not insert any kind of spring loaded clips directly into your patina solution because they contain steel - did this and contaminated the solution - expensive oops - have some great copper plating solution now. Lesson learned. Iron + saturated copper solution = copper plates onto anything metal (should have remembered this from silversmithing)

2) An 8oz bottle of Sophisticated Finishes (about $10 something at H.R. Meininger's) has been the ticket. My brush: q-tips - no metal to contaminate solution, and completely disposable

3) scrubbed the dickens out of copper with a combo of 220 grit emery cloth (creates a cool texture too), then shape and form (good to use wire shaping pliers and my 'smack blocks' - hdpe plastic blocks made to flatten/harden metal from a jeweler's supply), then scrub the dickens out of them with a strong solution of Dawn (the old, tough on grease, hard on hands blue stuff) and hot water with a large toothbrush to get all the oil and grease off of them.

4) kept the metal warm in a bath of hot water, then as I pulled each one out, dried on paper towel, and carefully rubbed on patina solution - turned dark very quickly. Let dry slowly (created a 'bubble dome' out of press n seal), so that the 'vapor' from the drying solution (Ammonium Chloride and Copper Sulfate) does its thing (Ammonium). The warmer metal just gets the reaction going a tad bit faster without having to heat up the solution.

5) wire is gorgeous! Doing second coat tomorrow morning. Turning a perfect, funky, blue green like I wanted. 3 wires on the left got their first coat earlier this afternoon.

6) Mopani wood is one of the hardest woods you can drill on that you can get for cheap - use a corded, high speed, high torque drill, and the best bits you can find - used a 1/8" Milwaukee carbon steel bit on hubby's mondo drill - would recommend using a center punch (the non-spring-loaded kind) to start the holes or your drill will skip. Yes, the wood will smoke quite a bit - gets very hot, and clean out your holes as you go. Only had to drill 12 holes, so hopefully we didn't ruin the temper on the drill bit.

7) To take up some space and make the holes a little easier to find, I used some tension pins, 1/8" x 1/2", and pounded them into the holes with the hammer. Easier to find than poking around on the wood to find the holes! Pounded these in with a hammer, then found an old bolt to pound them in more to nearly flush on the wood surface - since they have a split on the side, they needed no adhesive, and will stay in there forever.
Looks like this now:

once the wire is to where I like it, I'll trim off the excess wire ends, add the clips, and set her up.

I'm curious to see if anybody is using any beetle kill wood for something like this - I think sanded and finished, it would look equally fantastic.

FishinGal
Got Fish?

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Herman, here you go. Well, I'm still waiting for the rest of the wire to get more color on it. This stuff is a trip, flakes off, still looks beautiful...

Will try to get another picture tomorrow after I finish the rest of the wire 'candles'.

FishinGal
Got Fish?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

It's done.

Man, I'm tired. Had to get this done. I just grabbed the flies I've been carrying around in a small canister in my pocket. Hoping I'll be able to put some streamers on the clips too. Holds fine wire hooks pretty well as it is.

I'm sure this would be just fine with plain wire clips. The artistic jeweler in me couldn't stay still though.

Sorry about the messy fly desk. I'm sure you can understand though

FishinGal
Got Fish?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in