Can you help me find this hook or one like it? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can you help me find this hook or one like it?

Hey all.

I'm working on a pattern I'm planning on tying at WDTU Fly Clinic on the 11th and need your assistance. It's a CDC and Elk emerger that I finally got the proportions right on a Daiichi 1167 which is the 'new' Klinkhamer hook designed by Hans Van Klinken. Love them.

However I have run into a bit of a snag: availability. So far apparently BPS seems to be the only place in metro Denver that carries them. I have even considered using the older style Partridge Klinkhamer hooks but am not pleased with the proportions and shape. As a result I'm trying to find the better solution here:

Do you know of any shops in the extended metro area that carry this model hook, the Daiichi 1167, in a size 14?

Have called most metro shops including Charlie's, Trout's, Anglers All, Discount Tackle, Blue Quill, and both shops in Boulder and none of these places carry them. A short chat with Larry at Denver Angler was slightly more fruitful as he's the Rumpf rep and sells this stuff to BPS corporate and he'll be calling me Monday. He may be able to help but so far I'm just crossing my fingers.

Moreover, I was hoping one of you might have a suggestion for a substitute hook with similar proportions and performance characteristics. I'm looking for a straight eye emerger hook with a shape similar to this one.

C'mon guys, I know you can think of something... I'm just quickly running out of ideas. I have all day Monday to work on this: if it involves a trek to Colorado Springs, Ft. Collins, or, gasp, Sidney, NE, I'm game...

Hoping to find a solution a little closer to home.

Thanks for your time.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
silent_light

Default Re: Can you help me find this hook or one like it?

take a 1270 and put a bend in it. All i got.

Wish BPS still had the Klinkhamer BNX, love those.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

the 1167 is a 'new' Klnkhamer hook, and I'll tell ya, it's sweet. It's the 'black nickel' finish, hence the '7'.

the sister hook is a 1160, which has a more common bronze finish.

However, I am going to take a look at the Alec Jackson (hope I have name right) chironomid hooks we apparently carry. Come in odd sizes (odd numbers, 9,11, etc), but have a fairly similar profile. The irony is that though the 1167 is a 'fairly heavy wire' (oh, I hate these descriptions - I want diameters for pete's sake!), it is used for a 'semi-surface' type fly (i.e. emerger). Go figure. I just want a hook that has a wide enough gap to catch fish on, rather than miss fish on, and has the shape to get the derriere of this fly to hang down in the water where it belongs!

Would love any other wisdom on this and will keep checking on my phone while at work today.

FishinGal
Got Fish?

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Okay, due to lack of availability, I have tried a new hook and will tie a few more to get desired results.

Current hook, Daiichi 1130, wide gape scud hook. Lighter wire than 1167.

The Alec Jackson hooks looked kinda cool, but I'm not entirely sold on the 'up' eyes on them. If this was a wet or a subsurface emerger, maybe. Just didn't look quite right for this pattern...

FishinGal
Got Fish?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

I saw those on The Fly Shop's website and absolutely will be ordering some as soon as funds become available but gotta keep the lights on and pay the mortgage first. Otherwise I'd be on the horn with them right now. Tied a few up last night on the 1130 and although I still have my heart set on the 1167, they'll (reluctantly) have to do for the moment.

If you come out to the Fly Clinic, stop by, and ask me and I'm keeping my one little packet of 1167's in my bag, and I'll tie one for you on the better hook. Funny thing is that the pattern they tied up in the Winter 2007 Fly Tyer was tied on a scud hook and looks just fine too. Besides you'll get the chance to watch me swear while trying to get the stupid elk hair to cooperate.

I guess this is your way to bug your favorite fly shop owner to start carrying this great looking hook.

FishinGal
Got Fish?

Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have some of these, but haven't tied on them yet. Some sellers advertise this as a klink hook. Flat spot for the post. Wide gap. Black. Gamakatsu C15-BV.

I like the sharpness of Gama hooks.
chewydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hey chewy, where'd you pick those Gama C15-BV's up at?

Those look very interesting. The eye is particularly attractive.

FishinGal
Got Fish?

Old 02-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingal
Hey chewy, where'd you pick those Gama C15-BV's up at?

Those look very interesting. The eye is particularly attractive.
I bought some at Charlies Fly Box. Probably available at other local shops as well. Or, lots of on line stores.
chewydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

aha! Thanks chewy. Found 'em on the web site at Charlie's.

The eye being in plane with the curve of the hook really intrigues me.

FishinGal
Got Fish?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in