The Rule of Thumb for Eyes? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Rule of Thumb for Eyes?

It seems the most common options are straight or down when considering the orientation of a hook's eye. Is picking one or another a matter of personal preference or is there a rule of thumb for each?

What is your option?
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: The Rule of Thumb for Eyes?

For me, I much prefer eye down hooks because the angle of force (in relation to the plane of the line) is straighter in line with the angle of the hook point. This allows for a better hookset IMO. That said, the down eye also lessens the gap of the hook, thus there could be less likely hood of hooking up to begin with. I still prefer the in line nature of a downed hook.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Angle of force is certainly something I had not considered. Do you find one style easier to use in different tying applications? do you feel one style of eye is easier to thread tippet through?
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Really it depends on what your tying and how you plan to fish it. Heck with mouse patterns people swear up and down that you need a up eye on the fly. Well I do them up and down for difference in how I'm fishing them
Old 02-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Angle of force is certainly something I had not considered. Do you find one style easier to use in different tying applications? do you feel one style of eye is easier to thread tippet through?
No and No... as long as it is tied proper, both are equal IMO. The angle of force has been big to me in all applications, not just fly hooks. Eagleclaw used to make their lasersharp treble hooks when they first came out with the tips turned in towards the eye of the hook. I was told by someone who is very reliable (haha) that they had to stop making them that way because of some patent from another company. I LOVED those hooks and still have a bunch on my favorite old school lures.

The new trend in fly hooks is the very rounded scud/czech hook, like the 2487 or for big stuff the 600sp. Search the internet and check out the way the point of the hook points directly at the eye... love that. The 2487 has a downed eye, and the 600sp has a straight eye, but both have a great line of force. Then look at the 2488, it is close, but has a different line of force that is not in line with the eye... Thus, I prefer the 2487 to the 2488.

All being said, it probably makes very little difference...I tend to overthink details sometimes but small things added up can make a difference.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey
The new trend in fly hooks is the very rounded scud/czech hook, like the 2487 or for big stuff the 600sp. Search the internet and check out the way the point of the hook points directly at the eye... love that. The 2487 has a downed eye, and the 600sp has a straight eye, but both have a great line of force. Then look at the 2488, it is close, but has a different line of force that is not in line with the eye... Thus, I prefer the 2487 to the 2488.

All being said, it probably makes very little difference...I tend to overthink details sometimes but small things added up can make a difference.
J this is money! I've tied with the 2487 and 88's and always liked the look of the 88's but I will make sure that I'm getting the 87's now.

Thanks

EDIT: My comment was in regards to line angle....hook set.
cocarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think it goes without saying that you use the proper shape for each bug... that said, you can keep those straight eye hooks and I don't say that because of simple preference...I say it because of hookability. This is not based on a theory as much as it is on research (I had a real problem with one particular pattern until I switched from a straight eye to bent).

I have heard the theory on dries and film flies before, and I just don't think it makes much of a difference if the tippet is 1/64 of an inch lower in the water.

Think of it this way, why don't more folks use an up eye? My guess is because the direction of force will make hooksets more difficult... you are pulling in a different direction than the point of the hook follows. The straight eye is less obvious, but the same theory applies.

I am not suggesting never using a straight eye, and I use them for some patterns, but make no mistake, the down eye promotes a better hookset... I look forward to the day they start making a dry fly hook with the shape of the 600sp which would be the best of both worlds for dry flies and film flies!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in