Ultra Thread Fray - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ultra Thread Fray

Does anyone out there who ties with UTC 70 (or even the higher denier) know of a good way to prevent the thread from fraying? It really gets frayed when I flatten it out.

I've been tying almost 2 years now, and mostly prefer Uni Thread because of the fraying. I do like UTC in some ties though. I have 2 bobbins that I use (one the rite bobbin standard ceramic, and another a Tiemco ceramic) which seem to help minimize fraying. The problems start when I put much tension on bodies (a Flashback Jujubaetis for example...tying the white abdomen to lock in the superhair) I often can get some thread fray.

Any insight would be appreciated, or just tell me I suck and need to give it up......
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ultra Thread Fray

Get a better bobbin, and don't pull so hard on the thread, UTC70 is great stuff and I have no problems with it, I have had bobbins in the past go bad, they get re-purposed to hold lead spools since they do no damage to the lead.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

1. Take extra care to not let the flat thread hit your hook point.

2. You're probably using too much tension on the thread.

3. Keep a twist in the thread by spinning the bobbin. Mostly flat is nearly as good as totally flat and it frays a lot less. Use a spin of the bobbin to manage how flat your thread gets. If your thread gets really wide you can spin the bobbin a little to get it into a tight thread (tighter than you want to use) and just make one or two wraps to get the thread gathering in the right direction and then let the thread untwist a little bit (and flatten out) before continuing to wrap the underbody.
lurky mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I use UTC 70 denier for almost everything. Given, I use it on the self-retracting bobbins made by Nor-Vise - excess tension will make this stuff come flying apart (and make all sorts of nasty words come flying out of your mouth in the process).

Bobbin tension is a biggie for finer thread. And I agree with Lurky, almost flat is good enough. Given, it's 70 denier thread - which is pretty darn tootin fine - and for doing things like creating a smooth colored underbody, a little twist is hardly going to get noticed, especially by the fish!

(and after excessive amounts of foul language spouting from my own lips while tying jujubee midges with 16/0 Tiemco thread (yes, they do make such a thing) while using, you guessed it, a standard ceramic bobbin, I pulled the trigger and bought extra spools for my Nor-Vise self-retracting bobbin, loaded it up and got the rest of those jujubees done in no time flat. No more popped thread or thread shred.

Everybody has their own idea about how fly tying thread 'shoulld' look and feel. I have used both, and find reasons to use both a multi-strand thread like the UTC thread for losts of things, and a twist thread like Uni or Danville for lots of other things. Not that the two are always interchangeable, but both have their strengths and weaknesses.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks all for the replies. Keeping a little twist was a help for sure, and actually realized I often do tap the hook point which really is hard to hide once snagged. After keeping the twist in the thread, being firm but not too much tension, and more point awareness...I have really had some great looking flies.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in