Hook prefs - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hook prefs

Howdy fly tiers that are better than me. I want to take a quick survey. What hooks companies do you guys use and what companies do you try to avoid and why? Please try to be civil, I am not trying to start an internet bickering match. I just want to know your subjective opinion.
explodedlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hook prefs

I use a lot of TMC with MFC being a close second, but with fewer models. Use a few Mustads, but going more to Gamakatsu 'cause they're wiced sharp.

Hate Dai Riki 'cause they're too shiny and break, especially in the smaller sizes.

There's no way this doesn't start an "internet bickering match"...
chewydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

TMC
Gamaksu
Partridge, for pike
Dia- riki

Can't stand they break to easy
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

TMC - I'm with the rest of the guys - just avoid the Umpqua 'U' series hooks - not even close to being the same - big quality issues
Gamakatsu - for certain styles, really, really nice.
Daiichi - makes the new Klinkhamer hook that's actually nicer than the Partridge hook they had been tied on for years
Knapek - Czech nymph hooks - their size runs gigantically big compared to a scud hook, but nice, heavy wire, barbless
Orvis - nice, but expensive, salmon hooks - have replaced with Gamakatsu
Eagle Claw - I use their jig hooks for some of my larger bass and pike patterns

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

TMC and Daiichi
abbner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

I like Daiichi the best by a pretty wide margin and then TMC.

They all work pretty well, Dai-Riki gets a bad rap, but the price is right, they're not brittle and I've only had durability problems with the really small fine wire hooks, and even then they have been few and far between. I've had nearly as many problems with harder hooks breaking as with softer hooks bending or breaking, especially in tiny sizes. I catch plenty of big fish on Dai-Riki and Mustad hooks and they're definitely a cheaper way to go, especially if you are a beginning tyer.

One other note, the Knapek hooks are sweet, but don't try to tie a dropper off the bend, the knot will slide right off the hook point.
lurky mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

TMC - used on most of my trout stuff, never had a problem at all with the hooks....except when I look at the price for larger sizes and salt/salmon hooks.

Gamakatsu - the big octopus hooks for pike. Also the 90 degree hook for meat whistles

Diachii - when I can find them. I seem to be able to find them priced better than TMC online recently so I may have to try more out.

Dia Riki - when I am feeling cheap. I am not a big fan of the smaller sizes, but I usually just buy the bigger hooks for nymphs and streamers.

Eagle Claw - for Bass and Pike stuff

I have never tried any partrage or TMC hooks, but I have never seen them for sale either. I am gonna have to check these out sometime

Also a buddy of mine just sent me a bunch of bass bug style hooks by a company called Saber or something. I have never heard of this company so I will find out if they rule or are crap.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Tiemco for the small stuff...Mustad for the medium stuff, and Eagle Claw and Gamakatsu for the big stuff. I love those 90 degree Gamakatsus for meat whistles, but I'd like to find something cheaper. Probably the biggest number of one size I have is the Mustad #20 dry fly hooks that I got on e-bay...600 gold plated hooks...main problem is that they don't have eyes. I have made some bwo's and Adams flies with 'em...just incorporated some #6 tippet into the tie.
Yearnin-fer Naknek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearnin-fer Naknek
Tiemco for the small stuff...Mustad for the medium stuff, and Eagle Claw and Gamakatsu for the big stuff. I love those 90 degree Gamakatsus for meat whistles, but I'd like to find something cheaper. Probably the biggest number of one size I have is the Mustad #20 dry fly hooks that I got on e-bay...600 gold plated hooks...main problem is that they don't have eyes. I have made some bwo's and Adams flies with 'em...just incorporated some #6 tippet into the tie.
Yikes! That sounds not fun.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

MFC for most--deep discount for me. I don't use the #24s in the emerged hook.
Dia Riki-Same as above. I don't use the 125s in size 24. I also don't use the 310s. I don't like them. The newer hooks are a dull finish as opposed to the bright gold finish they used to have.
TMC- I use them for a lot of my personal ties. No problem with them at all.
Orvis/Diachii Straight eye hook. I use these in #18-26. I will also use TMC 101s for things like RS2s, but like the Orvis/Diachii hook the best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in