Bass/panfish poppin madness - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bass/panfish poppin madness

Had this crazy day the other day, fishing with foam Betts poppers up at Barbour Ponds.

Decided after that, I have GOT to learn to tie these. I have cobbed some together with some Rainy's foam Pee Wee and Mini Me heads on a Dai-Riki size 6 bass bug hook. Am getting more confident as I go.

I had purchased some with hard weed guards that the little bluegills and LMB couldn't quite bite through, so I gave them a 'haircut' so the weed guard goes right to the point of the hook, not on and around. Got more hits that way.

After missing about 70 or so takes, I finally put it together (thanks Randy for showing what I was missing), and got a few bluegills and some bass. Not tons of size, but not bad. Found great videos on Youtube on how to tie, and one guy was smart enough to 1 put camera under the water facing up in the bathtub, so he could show the profile and the action of the popper.

My question to you all is: what do you use/prefer for popper bodies (foam, balsa, etc) and do you build your own or purchase pre-formed heads, and how are you tying.

I picked up some small straight 'junction tubing' used for tube flies for a 'convertible popper' head I'd seen in Fly Tyer. If you go to the Fly Tyer website and search for convertible popper, you'll see it. I like the idea as the hook can be a little longer, and likely may get better setting power - besides, you can spend a lot of time decorating a head, only to see it destroyed by bass or bluegills, or trout for that matter, hammering it.

Off to Charlie's sometime today to pick up some larger (size 2 and 4) dry fly hooks to tie the hook end of those convertibles.

BTW: anybody ever seen/use a Copic airbrush? Saw some guy painting bodies with this - it's a handle that uses Copic art markers and an air system to airbrush color onto all sorts of things - in this case, foam popper heads. I about died when I saw how easy color changes were - holy cow! I have got to get me one of these! I always wonder why I kept my airbrush compressor until now... funny thing, that...

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bass/panfish poppin madness

Keep on killing it
Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't always tie bass poppers, but when I do, I make them ghetto as hell.
Stay thirsty my friends.

......meaning I just go to the ole hobby lobby, pick up some cork plugs, and slap em on a hook with some feathers. However, they look like crap.

A tutorial for those interested:

http://provenpatterns.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html
explodedlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Also, post some pics of your creations, would love to see em!
Old 05-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hey guys, you asked for photos

First try - All used the Dai-Riki Bass Bug hook in a size 6

Rainy's Pee Wee head in chartreuse, golden pheasant tippet in tail, chart/olive/black enhancer legs, yellow/black grizzly hackle, domed holo eyes

Yellow Frog

Rainy's Mini Me head in small yellow, black hackle feathers and red/yellow/black Montana Fly centipede legs, Black saddle hackle, same holo eyes as above.

Marabou tail frog - actually got hits on this when fished

Mini Me head in small yellow, yellow grizzly hackle tips, red/yellow/black rubber legs, burnt orange marabou, black hackle. Took a few casts to get marabou wet.

Finally - the tube fly. I had pics of separate parts, but I'm still learning my iPhone camera and had a hard time getting the auto-focus to pay attention to what I wanted (tried shaking it, etc, to get it to focus on the fly parts... will try again)

Mini Me head in white, colored with Prismacolor pens (have left over from design school - put to good use!), orange/black and yellow/black rubber legs pulled through head with needle and thread (couldn't find bobbin threader!), Holo 'oval' eyes in red, HMH junction tubing tube in small.
Hook is Gamakatsu SC15 in size 6 (tin plate), Yellow grizzly hackle tips for tail, with burnt orange marabou, golden pheasant tippet, and black saddle hackle.

I will consider tying this tail again on the bass bug hook or possibly a wide gap scud or bonefish hook. I am hoping to use the tube design to achieve more hook-ups - as the hook easily separates from the tube (does not sit inside the tube at all, but rides to the back of the tube)

I read somewhere online that apparently 'traditional' bass popper tails were tied in golden pheasant tippet. I just know that the color is a good triggering color from things I've tied like flies for kokanee.

Very interested to hear if you have suggestions for colors as well, or a good hook for the tube fly.

Thank you for your interest.

FishinGal
Got Fish?

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ah - I did have a pic of one of the popper tube heads after all

I'm debating how it will perform with the legs so far up (top to bottom wise) in the head. Had interesting results in kitchen sink. Will try and see how it works.

But this is how it looks with the tube in there.

FishinGal
Got Fish?

Old 05-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sweet!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

heres some getto a$$ crap ties

ugly

strait out of comton

CRACK whore on 3rd street

BLOODBATH from mali_Boo

screw all those richy rick popper from the good side of town
Old 05-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah...real ghetto. You should probably throw those away by giving them to me.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Pure deer hair trash, sorry I can't give them to you. I did throw them away and the garbage truck came and got them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in