Articulated pike flies - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 AM  

Default Articulated pike flies

Anyone here ever tie an articulated pike fly? I want to know what you use to connect the two hooks. I usually use 30 lb backing or mono, but I am afraid a pike will cut right through it.

I am looking to tie some beasty 10-12 inch monstrosity.
explodedlad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 AM  

Default Re: Articulated pike flies

50lb braid would work fine I think... I use that in my articulated flies.. I am sure Sorelips and Koldkut will chime in.. both have done some nice big uns.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 AM  

You might try these articulated shanks by the makers of fish skulls.

chewydog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydog

x2, they make two sizes, the larger size is most likely what you are looking for. How are you going to acheiever the overall length? where are the hooks going to be? single or double hooks? I've used wire in the past. I have not gotten much love on flies over 6", but that's not to say you won't, I know "." has done well with 12" flies trolling in the past.

Try this for the ultimate in toothy protection:

http://www.flyfishusa.com/leaders/co...hy-critter.htm

I use this with a loop at the back hook or shank eye, then tie each tag end down the length of the front hook shank, looped it back through the front hook's eye and back down the shank. I then superglue the entire front hook wire tied on and wait for it to dry before tying any material on.

and be careful handling those flies, I have some with two hooks where the back one is upturned and every now and again I stick one into my finger to the barb without realizing it....they are dangerous.
koldkut is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydog

X3 I use them on mouse patterns. I will say I've tied a chit ton of articulated pike flies, but in reality your just making a very heavy fly. Your better off just using long materials. Flowing affect is the same, fly is lighter to cast, and much cheaper and quicker to tie.
Pike don't have good eye sight, movement and vibration are everything. Sometime they will prefer certain colors, but that's about it
Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM  

Thank you guys for all the help!!! I have some goofy traditional wire swivel leaders that I may chop up...never use them anyway. But I am probably gonna have to pick up some 50 lb power pro or something like that. That fish skull thing is cool too, may have to order some. I am a little aprehensive about using the 20 lb toothy critter leader, although I am sure it would work. I just want something rated at a little higher breaking strength.

Most pike flies I tie are in the 6 inch range and they work great...however I am trying something new (new, not actually that practical). Here in SW CO there are a few places where the pike push 20 lbs and 50 inches and they will smash something 10 - 12 inches. I probably won't catch anything that massive, but tying the fly and trying it out is half the fun. Check it:

http://www.facebook.com/Duranglers?ref=tn_tnmn#!/photo.php?fbid=10150734979830867&set=a.47145924086 6.293166.299892110866&type=1&theater
explodedlad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM  

I like to use steel cables. I just use the ones you can get at any tackle store. They come in numerous sizes and strengths. They usually come with swivels on both ends and you can cut one or both off depending on your need. I have had some fail as tied on like KK suggests. I now lay the cable along the top and make the loop end of the cable even with the hook eye. This allows you to tie your leader to bothe the cable and hook eye, no more fails. I usually use the 30 lb ones. You can also tie a tube style fly around the cable if you want. You can do a bunch of different things with the cables. I also use salt water hooks because they tend to be stronger and have a bigger hook eye.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:30 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorelips

I like to use steel cables. I just use the ones you can get at any tackle store. They come in numerous sizes and strengths. They usually come with swivels on both ends and you can cut one or both off depending on your need. I have had some fail as tied on like KK suggests. I now lay the cable along the top and make the loop end of the cable even with the hook eye. This allows you to tie your leader to bothe the cable and hook eye, no more fails. I usually use the 30 lb ones. You can also tie a tube style fly around the cable if you want. You can do a bunch of different things with the cables. I also use salt water hooks because they tend to be stronger and have a bigger hook eye.
gold
Old 05-15-2012, 01:42 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey
Quote:

gold
No kidding, I've never had a failure on my steel, but I have yet to have anything "big" test them out. I will be doing it his way from now on. But also to hit on what 720 said, for pike there is a tease factor tha a heavy fly will not be able to do well, and it will be heavy....
koldkut is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey
Quote:

gold
No kidding, I've never had a failure on my steel, but I have yet to have anything "big" test them out. I will be doing it his way from now on. But also to hit on what 720 said, for pike there is a tease factor tha a heavy fly will not be able to do well, and it will be heavy....
I have only had them fail in the salt, with big fish. You are dead on about weight. The fly pictured is very light and tied sparsely. You definently want to think about the wet weight of the fly. The fly pictured can easily be cast with a 7 wt and up rod. The heaviest part is the hooks and cable the rest is very light materials.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in