Troutbeads vs. Otter Eggs - Page 3 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: Troutbeads vs. Otter Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey
Quote:
Originally Posted by explodedlad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorelips
Quote:
Originally Posted by explodedlad
Don't you guys think trout beads actually kind of defeat the purpose of fishing with "flies" over "lures". I mean, it isn't really fly fishing at that point, more along the lines of hucking gear.

I don't personally fish with any type of bead that isn't tied to a fly, that being said...pretty good price here...from a lure store...

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing...ds/350300.aspx
Then you are missing out!
Interesting blog post:

http://coloradoflyfishingreports.blo...bout-them.html

The conclusion, trout beads fishing is fish snagging. Ohdang I just went there.
The fact that someone would care about the line that differentiates fly from lure makes me want to barf up last nights fish tacos. This type of discussion is precisely what is wrong.
I knew that blog would get some people upset.
explodedlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #22 (permalink)

I like catching fish. Personally I don't see much difference. One way you trick a fish into putting something foreign into it's mouth and then pull your line and stab your hook into the inside of the fish's mouth. The other way you trick a fish into putting something foreign into it's mouth and then pull your line and stab your hook into the outside of the mouth. I see the end result as being the same, fish stabbed with hook in face. I don't think the fish cares which way you stab him in the face, because either way it gets stabbed in the face. It is hard for me to see the act of fishing as much more and I donít need to justify my actions my evoking them with greater importance, significance, or ethical and moral justifications.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #23 (permalink)

How to get an intense conversation on this board going: question someone's methods. Do what you like man, like what you do: it does not affect my life or way of fishing at all.

However, it is kinda funny that we are getting worked up about troutbead fishing on a fly tying message board.
explodedlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #24 (permalink)

Meh. I know few guys who use an orange scud pattern because they refuse to jump on the bandwagon of glo bugs and trout beads during spawns, makes them feel "holier than thou."

Which is ridiculous, because in the end, as much as you want to tell yourself its not true... The trout ate that bug because it probably thought it was an egg. So does it really matter which of those three you were to use to fool a trout into eating? I don't think so.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

Default Otter vs Beads

After having landed fish on both years ago, I find the beads to be slightly more durable, the otters only have issues when they aren't tied correctly. The otter eggs have to be tied correctly for them to last. Refer to the otter website, they have the idea down, however I like to add a couple drops of zap a gap. My complaint with the beads is the trailer hook, I had a lot more snags than the otter eggs.
Either way, it's important to stress that fished should not be taken during a spawn. For us to continue to have such great waters to fish, we need to protect the reproduction of our fish species. While I have fished for spawning fish, it was because I had no knowledge of the importance of the spawn. Only through education can we hope to continue to have such great fisheries in Colorado. Promote catch and release, educate when possible, and keep our waters clean!!
nadler234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #26 (permalink)

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but overall I prefer Otters Eggs over beads. My opinions below:
Beads:
--more color choices including glow
--cheaper in cost
--the negative: smallest size is 6mm/ hard texture/ pegging is an extra step and results in slightly less hookups

Otters Eggs:
--offered in smaller sizes that are more representative of actual trout eggs--3 and 4mm. I think high pressured fish respond better to the smaller sizes since they are more realistic in size.
--the ability to weight internally via tungsten beads. This gets the pattern down faster and helps keep it down--read big fish that others are floating over the top of. No need to worry about the weight having a negative effect on natural buoancy IMO--your indicator up top on the faster water will keep the weighted egg bouncing along just fine in a natural type state.
--softer, more realistic texture. I believe the fish hold on to the softer eggs slightly longer resulting in more strike detections and hookups
--faster to tie on the water since you don't have the extra step of peg
--Otter's Eggs can also be pegged, although I don't see them holding up nearly as well as a hand tied pattern
--they offer 2mm sucker spawn eggs that allow for globule type patterns and fishing sucker spawn periods, something often overlooked
--the negative: they don't hold up as well as beads, but tied right and/or with beads they hold up very well/ slightly more expensive
Haydenjsle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #27 (permalink)

I have found 2mm-4mm beads... but they are not name brand!

I have found that beads are my favorite because of several things. First, I use them as weight. I use primarily glass beads and they are perfect weight. Next, I find that for some reason using the glass bead prevents wind knots. I do not know why, but something makes them resist knots. It may be because the line "bounces" off before the hook can get in the line. I don't know, but when I am teaching newbies, I will almost always use a glass bead as the first fly as it somehow keeps them from tangling.

Lastly, I use a hook that is wrapped in red or brown wire so it looks like a big midge or worm. I catch nearly as many fish on that as I do with the slipping hook (when the trout takes the egg). This acts as an extra fly without having broken the rules.

I still use otter eggs and yarn eggs for some presentations. I love eggs, learn to use em all and there are VERY few days in the year a trout wont eat em...

My best advice is get to the bead shop. They have some colors that will make ur pecker move!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorelips View Post
I like catching fish. Personally I don't see much difference. One way you trick a fish into putting something foreign into it's mouth and then pull your line and stab your hook into the inside of the fish's mouth. The other way you trick a fish into putting something foreign into it's mouth and then pull your line and stab your hook into the outside of the mouth. I see the end result as being the same, fish stabbed with hook in face. I don't think the fish cares which way you stab him in the face, because either way it gets stabbed in the face. It is hard for me to see the act of fishing as much more and I donít need to justify my actions my evoking them with greater importance, significance, or ethical and moral justifications.
slowclap!
Old 01-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

I've got to throw in my two cents. I do prefer otter eggs just because the fish hang on to them a little longer. I have some from MFC and tie mine the same way and they last plenty long. The beads are great but I've just never gotten used to them but if you really want to play with them a little fingernail polish and some aquaseal make them even more juicy. (old AK guide trick)

Egg patterns of all sorts are in essence matching the hatch or just an attractor pattern. When I was guiding in Alaska the river I was on literally did not have any bug hatch's but instead the trout, char, pike and grayling all ate some or all of the following. Lemmings, sculpins, smolt, dead salmon flesh and lots of eggs. As with all matching the hatch ideas if you didn't have the right size and color of egg pattern you didn't catch as many fish or to that point your deer hair mouse, woolhead sculpin, clouser etc. So each to his own if you don't like em don't use em. It's like saying rubber legs are bad.
FSHHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSHHNTR View Post
if you really want to play with them a little fingernail polish and some aquaseal make them even more juicy. (old AK guide trick)
Elaborate please.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in