Fly Tying Box or Desktop Station? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fly Tying Box or Desktop Station?

I finally have room for a fly tying section in my man cave/storage room/mouse and spider infested corner of the basement. Whatever it may be called, I finally have a spot. I have a small writing test This One that will be my work area. Currently, I have a large portable tying station that takes up way to much room (takes up about 3/4 of the length of this table) since the only thing on it is my vise and I have all my materials in a fold open tackle box. I would leave everything on the tying station, but the basement is very dusty. Does anyone have any opinions on leaving thread and possibly other materials out in a dusty environment? I'm also thinking about building a fly tying station box to keep everything dust free. Does anyone use one of these or have any experience with one?
alanlf5280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

This
http://www.dollargeneral.com/product...24&cagpspn=pla
explodedlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

I just use a 3 bin storage cabinet by rubbermaid to hold everything. Keeps it out of the way. Of course, my basement is finished and we dont have the dust/ rats so not sure how that will work out for you....however, I do think a new rat hair fly would be good of you to post...
Falling apart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

explodedlad Haha! Nice!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

There's no issue with leaving stuff out except that it gets dusty and you have to clean it off occasionally. Just throw a thin sheet of plastic or drop cloth over the bench when you're not using it. I'm switching over from a box for storage to a binder with clear plastic sheet protectors to hold all my 'flat' materials and hooks...

Some people just need a high five. In the face. With a chair.
Luke the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

I like the writing desk for a bench, good straight edges to clamp the vise to. I'm using an old computer desk that has a rounded over edge and it makes clamping a little iffy. I do have a pedestal stand too but I prefer a more solid base for larger flies. For storage I use some plastic photo bins. I have separate ones for thread/wire, hooks/beads/eyes, and dubbing/fur. They have lids and can be stacked.
JFDenver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Make sure if you have mice in the area to store your capes and saddles (or anything with fat on or in the skin) in a hard plastic container of some sort. They seem to prefer the more expensive capes to nibble on to practice ones you may have.
fishfrnzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

I was surprised how quickly the tacklebox thing didn't work for me any more. It was too small almost right away.

I have a computer desk cabinet that closes up to look like an armiore. I just modified it by putting some nails on a small board to hold the thread, and some hooks here and there.

It was my wifes' idea to remove her Precious Moments cabinet collection, and put my desk there. No kidding. Yeah, she's a keeper.

Djfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Heres my fly tying bench setup...its pretty convenient, i dont have to go very far if i need to go to the bathroom.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottal View Post
Heres my fly tying bench setup...its pretty convenient, i dont have to go very far if i need to go to the bathroom.

I think that might be the best tying bench Ive ever seen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in