Too much hands - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Too much hands

I have normal sized hands but I want to try some #20 flies (RS-2 didn't look too difficult). Well, everything is pretty small. If I use a magnifying glass- it will be in the way when I'm wrapping on material, etc. How do you hold such tiny bits of material? Tweezers?
red owl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not exactly sure what your question is, are you cutting materials down to size before tying them on? It's better to tie in big pieces and cut off the tag ends-biots or hackle for example...

Some people just need a high five. In the face. With a chair.
Luke the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Pretty much fingers and no tweezers involved. Google "video on how to tie the ________ fly pattern" and you should get to some Youtube or other video links where you can see how to tie what you're interested in. For the RS2, Google "Hopper Juan" and go to Juan Ramirez's site and you can see a good vid for that pattern. Good luck.
knute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

I thought you weren't supposed to trim the ends of hackle, that you needed the pointy hackle tips to work correctly.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red owl View Post
I thought you weren't supposed to trim the ends of hackle, that you needed the pointy hackle tips to work correctly.
You don't cut the tip off, you cut the other end off. Sounds like you need to spend some time with books and you tube!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

It is all in the fingers. Watch some videos for patterns you are interested in tying. Once you get the hang of pinching materials and measuring the lenghts against the hook shank and get a feel for working with materials it will get easier. A good starter fly that covers a few important techniques and is effective in large and small sizes are pheasant tail nymphs or hares ear. Work your way from tying size #12's down to #22's

Here is a video for the RS2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E-OBxeqVbs
Old 05-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red owl View Post
You trim off the un-wrapped part of the hackle stem after you make the wraps. You should never have to trim off the individual hackle fibers, gotta size your hackle to the hook or required pattern size...

Some people just need a high five. In the face. With a chair.
Luke the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well as I said, I've tied size 16 flies for about 40 years but once I'm down to size 18 things become a little more dicey. I want to tie some #24 muskrat nymphs and I'm looking at that tiny hook and my fingers and....GEEZ......
Guess I'll just wade in and give it a go. I'm thinking about a Jeweler's Loup- that thing they wear like a monocle. Maybe it will help my eyes see better.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Eye problems and hand problems are different problems.

I have average sized hands. I tie down to #32. I use flies 24-26 regularly. It all comes down to how you use your tools. Thread control is huge. Understanding which thread to use for which bug, knowing how each thread behaves in different situations, things like that make a big difference. Bodkins are very useful for micro-manipulation and the application of cements. You can do things with the tip of a needle that just can't be done with the hand.

Repetition is the real key. You probably sucked at tying your shoes the first few times you did it. I know my mom had to beat me with a switch to loose the velcro when I was a kid, my knot tying was horrid. I now can tie a Bimini twist in four pound mono in about a minute. So practice a lot.

As far as the eyes go... My eyes were always bad, and have only got worse. I am super blind. I still have about a 10-14" range of near field vision without correction. I am not looking forward to magnifiers, I can tell you that. But the best setup I ever saw was a camcorder and video monitor system that Chad Schiel (another Rainy's contract tier) used for his demonstrations. Clear, crisp, and free of the headache-inducing optical distortions that seem to plague the common "magnifying glass" type apparatus.

Hope some of that is useful.

SS
Old 05-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

practice a little, big mitts shouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in