The "Wanna-Be" - Colorado Fishing Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
silent_light

Default The "Wanna-Be"

I know for some purists, this is absurd (immitating spin fishing), but I love to catch big fish and I aint a purist. I am a fisherman!!!

I start with a hook with a 3x shank size 4 is my favorite, even for slightly smaller tie. I will also use 6 and 8. The big hook is nice, especially when you feel the hits, they are not like anything I have felt. Just like a tube jig, the fish barely hit....super soft...like they are mouthing the fly.

Next I put on a medium tungsten cone head in gold or silver depending on color of the fly. I add 12 turns of .30 lead wire. It looks like this.

I usually use 2 colors of maribou, but sometimes 3 (only 1 on white). It is best to tie on "layers" of maribou, so each color is cased in by the next color. On this one I tied in the brown maribou first.

Next I tie a layer of ginger around the brown.

Next, tie in a wrap of rubber legs. I use Sili Legs, about 12 of them. They are the same length as the maribou.

The next step uses a material I really dig. It is holographic tinsel. I use gold or silver. This stuff catches light really well. This fly is fished on the bottom, so this stuff really catches any bit of light in deeper water. I tie in about 12 strips that are the same length as the maribou tail.

The last step is to tie in a long piece of Estaz in the appropriate color at the base of the tail. Wrap the estaz forward and tie off at the the head. I really like the pearl olive color. that is what is used in this example.

Here is a box full in different color combos. All of these colors have been affective.

In rivers, I find deep holes. Cast upstream at a 45deg angle. By the time it is perpendiculer, it has usually hit bottom. Super slow short strips inches it accross the bottom. Many times, I have to add a good healthy ball of soft weight to the leader where it meets the fly line. This makes my floating line tip sink. I guess I could just get another spool with sinking tip. I also use this still water with the same set up from shore and a full sink line from the boat.

It has been super fun mastering this fly. I know it is simmilar to several other patterns, but because of the way it is weighted and tied, it is more effective. I will warn, it is very heavy and takes a while to get used to casting it.

I would love to hear input about it and any stories of catching fish. I hope no one takes this post as arrogant. I am truly appreciative of the help I have gotten here and giving back is my only motivation.

Tight lines...Jason
  Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in