The Tunkwanamid - Colorado Fishing Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Tunkwanamid

This is a Tom Murray pattern I found in Schollmeyer and Leeson's Tying Emergers. This has great step-by step instructions for tying just about anything that qualifies as an emerger. The publishing date is 2004, so I'm hoping there may be a 2nd edition in the works - no Greg's Emerger in there for starters!!!

Tom Murray recommended about a zillion ways to fish this fly. Treat with floatant and it will skitter in the surface film, let it sink with a split shot, subsurface on a greased leader, or treat the ostrich herl with floatant and it'll sit in the water like a hanging midge pupa (think mosquito-like). This was designed for stillwaters, as a chironomid imitator, but it's so like a herl nymph, that it lends itself to all sorts of possibilities.

Hook: Mustad 9671 or other 2XL hook, #4-#16 (yeah, this really runs the gamut!)
Thread: Black 6/0
Tag: Fine silver oval tinsel (or silver wire on smaller sizes) - 4 turns should do, then tie down well before tying in herl - you will be wrapping this in the opposite direction for ribbing!
Body: Peacock Herl
Rib: Fine silver oval tinsel (or silver wire on smaller sizes) wrapped in opposite direction - can't see it too well on this image
Collar: White ostrich herl.

The author recommends tying in 3 strands of peacock herl in on the body and twisting them, some people do this around their tying thread to strengthen - I actually will tie in one long strand of herl and spin it around my tying thread into a chenille - it's easy to do on a Nor Vise because the head spins freely - if you are using even an old fashioned cheapo Thompson vise, you can still do the chenille, just takes longer, but looks great. You know how you like to tie, so that's up to you.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in