Tube Stocked Rainbow - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tube Stocked Rainbow

Here's the rainbow fly on a tube, you can do the same pattern on a hook minus the tube steps at the beginning.

Materials:
White Saddle Hackle
White bucktail
White, grey, red, pink, blue, and olive icelandic sheep hair
Pearl and red Krystal Flash
6mm 3d molded eyes
White thread
superglue

Step one, for the tubes, I don't have any special tools, so I made this out of a 1.25" x .25" staple, just straightened it out as best I could, then put the 90 degree bend in just at the very end.

Here is the tube, it is 1/8" OD tubing with the rubber hosing that goes just over the end to hold the eye of the hook.

The tube is positioned over the straitened staple and secured to the vise, notice that since I don't have the fancy tools to do this right, I notch the front of the tube ever so slightly to hold it from rotating over while I'm tying.

The first thing I tie in is 4 pieces of saddle hackle to give the fly some rigidity rather than just having loose sheep hair dangling out the back

Next I tie in some white bucktail to add more stiffness to the rear of the fly, a small bunch on eash side of the tube or hook will help quite a bit.

On the bottom of the tube I tie in some white sheep hair on the top of the fly

Grey goes on bottom next

Pink on top, if you look closely there are two seperate tie ins on the pink, this just take up room on the tube so I don't have too many bare gaps on the hook, I made each one smaller rather than one large clump

Turn it over and give it another stack of grey

Back on top, we add saltwater blue

Then some white

At this point I take 4 strands of KF and put it in the middle on each side, so 4 on one side and 4 on the other

I tie in some red KF on the bottom

Then follow it up with some red sheep hair, just a touch will do.

Add the olive to the top

Then glue on some 3d molded eyes. Sometimes I'll use Doll eyes

And the finished product laid out on a paper towel after being wet.

koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in