The EP Slimer! - Colorado Fishing Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default The EP Slimer!

I know some of you have been wanting to know how to tie this...

Start with your favorite big hook, this is a 3/0 "pike hook" from Alpine Angler. I use Danvilles 210 waxed flymaster plus thread. Next, grab a pair of pliers and crush down the barb!

Then add a thread base and tie a clump of white EP fibers around the hook shank, but dont trim the tag

Instead, pull it back and cut it so it is slightly shorter than the first bunch, then use your thread to push the material back.

Repeat this process several times until you get about 2-3 eye-lengths away from the hook eye.

Tie in a final clump of white EP fibers, but this time only spread it around the bottom and sides of the hook shank

For the top of the fly, I use EP fibers in "Tarpon Streamer" color. Here is a picture showing the thickness of the Tarpon Streamer color vs what I normally use for each clump of white material.

Next, pull the tag of the Tarpon Streamer back over the top of the fly, and pull the white material back along the bottom and sides of the fly. It should look something like this...

Here it is after whip finishing and before trimming...

Carefully trim the bottom and sides

Then pull the clump of tarpon streamer out of the way, and trim the top of the white material

When your done, it should look kinda like this...

Use some Zap gel to add a pair of big eyes!

Then I use ruby, black, and prussian color Letraset Promarkers to add gills, a stripe, and spots

The finished product!

Here it is next to one tied with an MP Magic Head
shutupandfish is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in