The Coney Craw - Colorado Fishing Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default The Coney Craw

So here it is, a little late but o well

Materials:
Hook: 90 degree jig hook
Thread: Danvilles 210 denier flat waxed nylon
Abdomen: Rabbit strips (NOT crosscut)
Legs: Sili legs
Red glass bead
Conehead
Lead wire

Start off with your favortie 90 degree jig hook and add a cone (black, gold, silver, whatever color you have or prefer) and a red glass bead, and secure it with thread...

Then cut two pieces of rabbit strips so that they will be slightly longer than the hook, and trim some of the fur off.

Tie one on each side of the hook shank, then add some rubber legs to imitate antenna, and some .030 lead wire.

Then tie a rabbit strip on the TOP of the hook shank. This picture shows it on the side, but after tying a number of these flies, I've found that it works better if tied on the top.

After that tie in 6 rubber legs (3 on each side) about the width of the rabbit strip back from where the last strip was tied in, and secure them for the length of the rabbit strips width. This step is important, as you will see in the next step!

Wrap the strip of rabbit fur once behind the rubber legs, once in the middle, and once in front of them. If you did everthing right, the rabbit strip will cause the legs to stick out from the body.

Whip finish, and carefully trim the bottom, top, and sides of the rabbit into a crayfish- like shape.

Because of the lead, and the way rabbit holds water, this fly can be a real pain to throw. I like to use my 6 weight, although I have cast it on a 3 before (couldnt throw it as far, but its what I had with me at the time! Fish like to hit it on the drop, but if they dont, just work it in slowly along the bottom with a quick strips thrown in once in awhile (think of a crayfish getting chased, and slowly backing up)
shutupandfish is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in