New to fishing - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to fishing

I am looking at starting fishing. I used to fish when I was a kid. But I have not in years. I bought one of those Shakespeare combo packs that has a few goldish looking lures. I have no idea what they are for or how to use them. Heck I am not even sure on the name of it. I know I sound like a loser, but I spent most of my life behind a desk and now I am a trucker.

Being a truck driver I do not get much time to do anything. To get started in Colorado Springs do you think that places like Quail Lake or even Prospect Lake are a good place to learn?

Also, do you think it is possible to just teach myself or do you folks have any pointers?
r3v3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

r3v3r,

If you want to go fishing sometime, just let me know when you are free on the weekend. PM me and we can arrange a time. Myself, I am a spinning person who is trying to learn the nuances of flyfishing. While not the most experienced on here, I can teach you some basics to get started.
muninoel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Also, I work right next to Quail Lake at the Honeywell facility, and last week I saw a guy with a 25 or so inch rainbow trout that looked like it went at least 6 or 7 lbs. It was stocked (along with Prospect) with some 20-inch trout last year, so anything that survived is getting up there in size. Quail Lake is home to other species as well, such as bass, crappie, etc so you never know what you might pull out of there. Myself, I pulled a couple of 18-inch trout out of there about a month ago, and promptly put them back for others to catch.
muninoel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good luck in your journey. There are many good fishermen here, and a few of them aren't assholes. . Someone will be able to show you the ropes.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

i think you should focus on one species and go from there. a water bobber to a swivel to four or five feet of leader to a minijig or fly will work most lakes. esp quail. that rig will catch a few species
tl1000r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

keep it basic for now, worm under a minnow. If you want you could invest into a second pole so that while I you let your bait sit you can practice fishing lures. I would start out with some inline spinners throw them in that lake you should have success. If you ever want to come down to aurora I would be happy to take you out and teach you what I know
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Thanks

Thanks all. I might take you up on that offer muninoel. I am almost on summer break from school. I am doing online stuff. So to start off just use live bait not the lures that came with the little kit?

I am still looking stuff up, like what spinning is.
r3v3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Start off with 1/4 ounce kastmssters or spoons,east to cast and always effective. Pot o golds at walmart are only $1.75. Experiment with letting them sink then retrieve at various speeds. Youll find out what works at that particular spot at that time. Sometimes a deep slow jiggng type retrieve gets the bites. Sometmes a faster retrieve a little shallower is the ticket. Once you start getting out you will find out what you like, meet some people and start expanding your tackle......and oh ya. Don't forget. Poles are for strippers. Rods are for fishing.
Fordo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3v3r View Post
Thanks all. I might take you up on that offer muninoel. I am almost on summer break from school. I am doing online stuff. So to start off just use live bait not the lures that came with the little kit?

I am still looking stuff up, like what spinning is.

Spinning is using a spin reel, which is more than likely what you have. Basically its not fly fishing
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fishing with lures with a spinning rod is as easy as it comes. You just cast it out, and reel it back in. The fish take the lure when you're reeling it back in. There's more to it, but that will get you catching fish.

You need to learn to cast anyway, and that should just take 10 minutes to learn if someone is helping you. You'll be learning to cast, and catching fish at the same time.

Don't get stressed over it. It's just fishing. It's suppose to be fun.

Muninoel's help is your best bet.

Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid.......John Wayne
Pete-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in