Float trip Arkansas River - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Float trip Arkansas River

Well these conditions are not going to last much longer. The river is going to blow out with runoff and the reservoir will steadily drop over the summer. Who wants to do a float trip from Florence to the reservoir and take out at turkey creek. Looking for people with kayaks, canoes, Inflatable kayaks who want to see what the river holds on that difficult to access stretch. Looking for people with some river experience and reliable boats (No walmart special boats..) From my research it is class 1-2 with some sweepers and some possible water diversions/lowhead dams that may need to be portaged. But all in all pretty low drama, with some nice scenery and some lightly pressured fish. I will be taking my tandem Inflatable Kayak, throw bag, pin kit and fishing gear etc.

http://www.raftingcolorado.net/arkan...trips/swallows

Last edited by bugz; 04-01-2015 at 12:23 PM.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't live down there anymore, but I have always wanted to make this float. One thing to keep in mind is that this is a long trip especially if you start at Florence. Try to get permission to launch at the Holcim Cement Plant in Portland. In addition, with the high water it will take a while to get Turkey Creek, I suggest taking out at the north swallows parking lot (this is lake right now, not river). I agree that doing this float in the first half of April would be arguably the best time to try it, good luck.
CadenceKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have floated that section many times... not too much trouble, fishing is ok. It's a fun trip, long and make sure with the res as high as it is, you have someone to pick you up in a boat... if you don't, you will suffer.
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadenceKing View Post
I don't live down there anymore, but I have always wanted to make this float. One thing to keep in mind is that this is a long trip especially if you start at Florence. Try to get permission to launch at the Holcim Cement Plant in Portland. In addition, with the high water it will take a while to get Turkey Creek, I suggest taking out at the north swallows parking lot (this is lake right now, not river). I agree that doing this float in the first half of April would be arguably the best time to try it, good luck.
Thanks for the input. Do you know how close the lake is to North Swallows PL? I would rather suffer with a paddle than on foot thru a muddy thicket.... Don't think that a boat pick up is an option unless someone on here volunteers. But the stars have not aligned like this in the last few years that I have been near the Ark. I would really like to do this trip. Also suffering is kinda my MO, so paddling out in the dark into the wind would not be a huge deterrent. Makes it all more memorable!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can paddle right up to your car.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat View Post
Well then, that works! Who is in! C'mon hobie you could run your boat down that stretch! Oyey if you no longer have a river boat you can ride in my ducky! lets do this!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to earplug Send a message via Yahoo to earplug

I just finished a decent bottle.
I Can't paddle the river this year due to being a wimp.
I have a trailer and a van that knows where the Swallows road is.
I might be talked into helping to haul a couple of boats out.
I'd like to launch and fish for a couple of hours then rescue a couple of boats.
I got a pair of marine radios.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

I may have to take you up on that offer Earplug... It does not look like anyone wants to do this trip... Weird I would think on a site full of fisher people in a state that does not have that many mellow river trips, someone would have a canoe and want to do this. I have posted the trip up on Mtn Buzz to see if any of the river hippies are interested. If not I may have to do this solo. But hell I will paddle someone down the river in my boat if you are willing to help with the shuttle and stop at some of the fishy looking spots. And yes I got the skills to get us down the river safe. Some pics of me and my yacht.

Last edited by bugz; 10-28-2015 at 01:00 PM.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat View Post
You can...but having done so in a Canoe with an older man (pops) I know the pain involved when the river is this high... it's a long row, and tough after floating for 5-6 hours.

In a kayak, it may not be bad. In my raft, it would be death. I am not into that float, Bugz, sorry.... just not enough fishing for my taste. Can you man the oars on the Ark around Salida or Cotopaxi?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey View Post
You can...but having done so in a Canoe with an older man (pops) I know the pain involved when the river is this high... it's a long row, and tough after floating for 5-6 hours.

In a kayak, it may not be bad. In my raft, it would be death. I am not into that float, Bugz, sorry.... just not enough fishing for my taste. Can you man the oars on the Ark around Salida or Cotopaxi?

Take me! Take me! I can row...like a pro!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in