Hello, I'm new to CO - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello, I'm new to CO

Hey everyone,

I just moved to CO from California last week and just wanted to introduce myself and possibly make some new friends. My name is Peter and I'm 25 and pretty much lived in California my whole life. I'm an avid fisherman and fished almost every Friday back home. Generally targeting trout when it's in season (stockers), cat fish, large mouth bass, stripers, panfish, and spotted bay bass in the San Diego bay.

I live in Aurora near the medical school and would like to do some fishing in the area but I have no idea where to start! I think there's the Aurora Reservoir nearby and Cherry Creek State Park, any tips on where to fish and what to use would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone would like to meet up and show me the ropes that would be even better. I also have a float tube if anyone is interested in doing that.

Pictures always makes the read a little easier.. soo here's a couple pix from Cali -

Stockers from last year-

Thanks for reading!

- Peter
peterng0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome! I just moved here a few months ago and I couldn't believe all the fishing opportunities that exist here in Colorado. I fish aurora res about twice a week. It's a good place to start. I've taken my float tube out there several times and am just as successful as if I was fishing out of the boat. If its bass you want then Quincy res. is close by. I've haven't fished it yet but actually plan on getting my tube wet there this afternoon if my truck ever gets out of the shop.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Dakota,

Good to hear that there's fish in the reso! I will probably give that a try sometime soon. I just bought my CO fishing license today and I was thinking about going to fish Cherry Creek State Park tomorrow for a few hours. I'm down to catch whatever swims haha. Have you fished from there? I will most likely fish from shore since I didn't bring my pump for my tube and I rather tube with someone else.

- Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cherry creek is an awesome lake to fish. A lot of members on this forum call that lake home. I don't have any experience fishing it from shore but I'm sure you'll find some fish. Some members here might be able to chime in and help out. If be happy to float tube with you one of these days. I just got it and need to get my money's worth out of it.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome. Good luck on your quest. I can tell you that Aurora has some nice fish, so give that a go. There are quite a few good spots for trout up in the mountains, but you'll work for them.

Colorado is a great place to live, just promise to respect the fisheries and leave no trace.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome to Colorado Peter.
There are a lot of opportunities here, great fishing spots and some big fish. Funny thing is, I lived in LA for 5 years and didn't get back into bass fishing until after moving back to Colorado last year.

I don't have any insight to fishing Cherry Creek, but on the east side of town, Aurora, Quincy and then up north a bit to Rocky Mountain Arsenal are your best bet. I'd be down to meet up sometime, though my fishing schedule has been sporadic this year. Plus with so many options for types of fish, fishing and locations, I've been having a hard time nailing down plans until the night before or day of.
Freestone303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it.

Now for the dilemma.. I've looked up both Cherry Creek and Quincy and it seems like Quincy would be easier to fish from shore and has pretty much the same species of fish.. Which lake would you guys recommend? I plan on heading out to one of those lakes tomorrow morning. If anyone is interested in joining shoot me a text.. 909- 362-0802

Dakota & Freestone303, if you guys want to fish anytime this week feel free to PM me I will be down to meet up, I don't start work until next Wednesday so that means I get to fish!!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quincy for sure! It's a great little bass lake.

*little lake, not little bass. There's some nice fish in there.
Freestone303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Checked out Quincy Lake today for a couple hours. It's a really nice lake and I will most definitely fish it again. I was only able to tug on 2 fish. Farmed one fishing a t-rig lizard and another on a senko.. Pretty slow day for me but not bad for my first time there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in