Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Building some baits

6K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  rfideng 
#1 ·
Got some plans, just need supplies.

I am going to start tinkering with some spinner ideas based on the classic walleye crawler harness. First step is to build a few standard harnesses. Colorado spin blade, 4-5 colored beads, two hand-snelled hooks inline (size 4 baitholder)

Once I make up a few of these, I plan to substitute the hooks for 1/16 oz jig heads and try to make "minnow harnesses" so to speak. Don't know how well they will work, but I was thinking that if I can match the blade size and color with the jig head and beads, I might be able to get a perch rig for when I'm trolling up here in these little lakes near the house.

I'm positive this has all been done before, but it will be my first "Tackle Craft" project and I am pretty jazzed to get going.

I have looked at Barlows and NetCraft online and am finding that the best deals on spinners and beads and such are on eBay. Sure the selection isn't as epic and you're sort of taking what's available, but for cost value, it is looking like it will be worth it to source parts from multiple areas. Beads I can get from a hobby shop... Blades and clevises... Those are going to have to be sourced.

Anyone have a favorite online store for lure parts at good prices? It would be nice to find some closeouts on holographic blades or even just a solid deal on hammered brass. I'm not ready to start painting stuff yet, so I'll either need to buy pre-painted stuff or go with generic metallics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#11 ·
Thanks GR. Yea, I just wanted to make one up and these were the only colors I had at the time. Since I built this one earlier today, I have acquired a bunch of blue beads and a silver blade (ripped of an old lure).

I'll give this one a try, but the colors are terrible, as you noticed. Only thing i could think of with that set of colors would be small brown or brook trout... None of those in my lakes up here.

#17 ·
Yea, of course there are better methods. I know how to tip a crappie jig under a slip bobber, I know how to vert jig kastys and tubes. I'm primarily doing the harnesses as a means to start building some tackle and developing some techniques for perch.

Im my original post I talked about tweaking the design to incorporate minnows rather than crawlers.

When I get out on big waters, I'll use these standard harnesses for walleye.

For now, I'm dinking around small lakes in a raft and toying with some cheap easy tackle projects. :)

#18 ·
If I was fishing for eyes...I'd grab the first harness you made. I'm a big fire tiger color guy..In most daytime situations for walleyes, I prefer chartreuse, pink, yellow, orange, green, white or red. Just my opinion.

For minnows...just lose the stinger hook. Also..in early spring..just a few beads and a hook..sans spinner can work well.

#21 ·
Fishing is funny, what works for some people is "crap" to others. I have never had look on harnesses that aren't some type of bait fish color. Best thing is to do as Rvinson said " JUST FISH!!" So you can figure out patterns :llama:

#29 ·
NP...I dont use bait much any more but a lot of guys swear by slow death...just another tool...like Jim but this one works!...lolololol Z gets two minutes for instigating between Jimbo and Andy...stir stir stir...and yes Jim I am still jealous!...as I prepare for work today...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.