Good hip pack/fanny pack/backpack (non-fly fishing) - Page 2 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knute View Post
I've been using an earlier model of this one for several years.
http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/p.../tour-tls.html
The earlier model has somewhat different stablizer straps on the sides (by the water bottle carriers) that I actually use to carry a second flyrod, which angles back and upward on my left side. Works great in open areas and while wading where you want to have a second rod handy rigged with something different, but have to take it out in brushy areas. I also installed a magnetic release on the shoulder strap for carrying my net, which I've found very handy as well. There are two models now with different capacities to choose from, but can't tell how well the second-rod carrying feature I use will still work with them or not. I carry 8 or so fly boxes in mine, so it has good capacity for fly fishing, not so sure how it would be for volume of spin tackle, however. JAX has them if you happen to be up in the Loveland or FC area.
Very cool and getting close. I am going to look into this.
NymphoStage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

$100 bucks to carry a few lures around your ass Been using the same $10 Wally world backpack for 15 years. Holds a small soft sided 6 pack cooler and a couple boxes of lures no problem. Heck even a little room left over for chew, smokes and bug spray.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker tom View Post
$100 bucks to carry a few lures around your ass Been using the same $10 Wally world backpack for 15 years. Holds a small soft sided 6 pack cooler and a couple boxes of lures no problem. Heck even a little room left over for chew, smokes and bug spray.
Cool, I might do that tonight only I will be adding a rain poncho.

Have you ever fly fished with a nice pack? It is heavenly. Everything you need on your waist. No need to carry around a bag or a backpack, you have everything you need on your hip. I am looking for something I can keep in my car. Grab it, grab my fishing pole, and head out on foot looking for good spots. I find that I want to be more mobile but end up generally stationary as it is a pain to carry around a bag and move.

So tonight I may give the backpack a try. Just saying that a hip pack could be sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Here's a couple backpacks designed for fishing, although I imagine one would want to take them off and drop it on the shore while casting. Cool features are the horizontal storage space for the 3600 Plano boxes and the insulated upper compartment for drinks and bait.

http://www.basspro.com/Browning-Fish...1306190656083/

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...ct/1304050935/

Often times you see Kayak fishers with a milk crate that has a 3 piece rod holder zip tied to it. That would not be a bad option as well, especially when using more than 1 rod. Just put on a couple d-rings, a shoulder strap and away you go.
heresjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 12:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

I bet there are some acutally fanny packs out there that could fit a couple 8x4" or so plato boxes,or just buy a satchel and rock that shit.
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

I like the Browning bag for $30
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

I have the Mountainsmith pack Nympho is talking about as well, awesome bag! If you don't like he single shoulder strap they have a pair of shoulder straps you can upgrade to...

Some people just need a high five. In the face. With a chair.
Luke the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have been using a backpack and it has been working great! Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I am good to go for now!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoStage View Post
I have been using a backpack and it has been working great! Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I am good to go for now!
Glad you figured something out, my trusty backpack packed full of lures goes everywhere with me
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoStage View Post
Anyone know of a good hip pack or fanny pack or backpack for non-fly fishing? I love my fishpond hip pack for fly-fishing but am looking for something that will allow me to be mobile while spin casting from shore. A pack that can hold an assortment of stuff like lures, plastics, bobbers, etc... Basically, a slimmed down version of my current tackle box that I can wear rather than carry. Any ideas?
This is a light, good sized waist pack you can get Plano 3500's into easily. You can check them out at either Cabela's front range stores.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

I can resist everything except temptation.
Mickey62060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in