Considering a new fly rod... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Considering a new fly rod...

I am starting the research on a new fly rod. I am new to fly fishing and right now have an Orvis Clearwater 8'6" 5wt with a Ross flystart reel. I am thinking about a shorter 3wt to hit the smaller streams close to home like Bear Creek, waterton, and Boulder creek. Anyone have any suggestions or input?

Any advice on where to start when buying a new rod is welcome. I am thinking this rod will get the most use as I start taking half days to hit up some of the creeks I have already listed. I am really thinking of dumping my money into the rod and using my current reel with it although I will be wanting a nice reel down the road as well.

So, I think I like that weight but what about length? 7' seems a little short, 8'6" seems a little long. Do they make them in like an 8' or 7'6"?

Give me input guys.
NymphoStage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

What about this:

http://www.wright-mcgill.com/fly-fis...n-5xe-fly-rods

I have the 3wt paired with a reddington drift:

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-reels/drift/

It was my first set up and I've caught a TON of different species of fish on it in the past few years. I'm not much of a trout guy though. I like the set up but might not be experienced enough to comment on specifics.
fishslap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Here's my humble opinion. I don't fish Boulder, but I can speak for Bear and Clear and am familar with Waterton and none call for a short rod, so a 8 or 8.5 would be fine in my opinion.

If you plan on fish overgrown brushy streams in the mountain, I know a few in South Park and short 7ft rod would be an advantage in the brush.

As far as rods, you'll get 100 different opinions. I like those Clearwaters like you have, good value. Some guys are TFO guys, me I'm a Scott and Sage guy.

For those waters you mention, fyi, I plan on getting a Sage 3 Weight at 8.5.

Good luck on your quest, soon you'll have 6 different rods for different applications lol...
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishslap View Post
What about this:

http://www.wright-mcgill.com/fly-fis...n-5xe-fly-rods

I have the 3wt paired with a reddington drift:

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-reels/drift/

It was my first set up and I've caught a TON of different species of fish on it in the past few years. I'm not much of a trout guy though. I like the set up but might not be experienced enough to comment on specifics.
At this time I see no reason to go outside of Ross for the reel. I love the one I have and they are a Colorado company. I love to support local. While I love to support local I was thinking more along the lines of Sage, TFO, G. Loomis, etc...
Old 06-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoldog View Post
Here's my humble opinion. I don't fish Boulder, but I can speak for Bear and Clear and am familar with Waterton and none call for a short rod, so a 8 or 8.5 would be fine in my opinion.

If you plan on fish overgrown brushy streams in the mountain, I know a few in South Park and short 7ft rod would be an advantage in the brush.

As far as rods, you'll get 100 different opinions. I like those Clearwaters like you have, good value. Some guys are TFO guys, me I'm a Scott and Sage guy.

For those waters you mention, fyi, I plan on getting a Sage 3 Weight at 8.5.

Good luck on your quest, soon you'll have 6 different rods for different applications lol...
Ha yeah... I bought the Clearwater 865 as a good started all-around rod. I am now seeing that most of my fishing is in local smaller streams so I think a 3 wt is where I will buy my first rod for a special application. I also would like to get something nice...
Old 06-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoStage View Post
Ha yeah... I bought the Clearwater 865 as a good started all-around rod. I am now seeing that most of my fishing is in local smaller streams so I think a 3 wt is where I will buy my first rod for a special application. I also would like to get something nice...

Since your an Orvis owner allready, Helios.. One of the guys on the forum is a Helios user, cannot recall who though.

Nice to me means Sage, Scott, Winston, G Loomis, Loop tweaks my interest too. Like I said others will have their favourites too..

I bought a Loop Opticreek on the cheap and it goes on my 4 weight Scott.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

The place to start for me would be to check some reviews to zero in on a few rods that fit my application (I'm thinking you want this to be a dry fly rig as opposed to a nymphing rig) and also fit my budget. Then, I'd find a store that had them and I would go test cast the rods I was interested in. Then, I'd look for a good price.

Reel shouldn't be too much of a concern on a 3 weight, mostly just holding line . But, I don't know about overlining a 3 weight with a 5 weight line (if that's what you were planning on), so you would at least want to load that reel with a 3 weight line. Personally, I'd look for a battenkill, but that's just my preference.

I am a sage and TFO guy.

My Youtube Page with my Fishing Videos --> http://www.youtube.com/user/troutah?feature=mhee
im trout of here is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

You definitely need a 700+ dollar rod to make 15 ft. casts on a small creek.

I wouldn't be caught dead on Boulder Creek without my Helios.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

^^ ^^

Troll
Old 06-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoldog View Post
^^ ^^

Troll

Yep. I troll too. I don't need a really expensive rod to do that either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in