Swimbait question - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Swimbait question

Today I was out and tied on a Castaic 4" SBT for the first time. I could not get the thing to run straight at all. It didn't matter what speed I retrieved at or what style knot I tied (direct or loop). The lure even turned on its side on a slack line drop.
I don't know much about soft swimbaits, but was wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if its the lures. I have experienced the same thing on Storm Wild Eye soft swimbaits, but I figured they were cheap knockoffs; but I expected a lot more from a Castaic Swimbait.

Can these types of lures be tuned somehow?
Freestone303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yep. You can tune them into the trashcan.

The 4'' suck. Totally worthless. The 6" are worth their weight in gold. The eights are OK, the tens are useless.

The 6" fast sink (really important, imo, to get the fast sink with these particular baits) are the stand out baits in the Castaic boot-tail lineup.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

And for gods sake, quit tying loop knots, ever. You are asking for it. If you want freedom of movement, tie onto a strong, high quality snap with a Palomar knot.
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I normally don't use loop knots with lures (when fishing streamers yes). But after getting that sideways action, I had to check and see if the knot was somehow causing it to pull to one side.
Good to know some of the sizes in the line up are good, I would have sworn off Castaic SBs after this experience.
Freestone303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

4inches it's just a casting plug. Needs to be 6 to call it a swim bait.

How to catch and release trophy fish: https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...fish-must.html
lvrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbait View Post
And for gods sake, quit tying loop knots, ever. You are asking for it. If you want freedom of movement, tie onto a strong, high quality snap with a Palomar knot.
Swimbait: can you expand on this? I use a lot of Kreh / Rapala loop knots on my jerk baits and have not had any issues. Have you experienced issues with them?

Thanks
Meridian69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey Meridian, sorry just saw this.

I guess I would say if something works for you, to heck with what I think, but the palomar knot is demonstrably stronger than any loop knot other than a full on Bimini Twist, that is the simple reason I use it.

I have a fairly good memory for certain things. I actually remember fish over the years I lost to a loop knot... and I am still pissed about them. I converted to a palomar in about 1994 and found I was breaking off way fewer fish per year than I had with clinch or loop knots I had been using, so that was that. The way I see it, you just never know what is going to bite. Is the difference of ten or fifteen percent tensile strength all that important? To me it is an easy question.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is a good watch... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91aqhBQFLPk

I tie the Trilene but tell folks to tie what they are confident in tying. I HIGHLY recommend paying attention to where the big loop of the palomar ends up. I know a few people who have tied it wrong and then say it's a weak knot. It's not...

I totally agree about the loop knots though. Recipe for disaster...

I would also suggest learning the Albright knot and improved Albright for line to line connections.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

I second what Oyey says about confidence on whatever knots you use. I switched to the san diego jam last year after learning that Swimbo uses it exclusively, so I gave it a shot and I don't use any other knot for line to lure except for when fly fishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO2OVSospbo
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in