M.F.A.U. --- A build project - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default M.F.A.U. --- A build project

Had this cart fall in my lap. Thought it would be a nice easy project for bank fishing.

The Mobile Fish Assassination Unit...

Right now it's just a nice garden cart, but bear with me. Here are the steps I'll be taking over the next few months to turn this into a badass tool.

Step #1: Building and attaching an array of heavy gauge PVC rod holders. There will be 5 in the back that are completely vertical... Used only for carrying the sticks to the water's edge. There will also be 5 more (vertical) on one side, but with a 45 degree angle at the top to use as rod holders. They will have a 3" groove cut into them to allow for the reel to "seat" down into them when they are fishing.

Step #2: Building and attaching a small wooden box to the inside of the cart, all the way against the back, to house my cast nets and marine battery (will explain this a little further on a later step)

Step #3: Installing "night-lighting". This step will be important because I night fish alot. I plan on having one high wattage blacklight and one high wattage halogen that I can switch between. Much of the time I will not need any light at all, but I plan to have it available just in case. These lights will be powered by a 12v marine battery.

Step #4: Add other components into the cart, fit to form. A small cooler, exactly the width of the inside of the cart to place against the front of the cart--- my two tackle boxes, side by side, magically meet the precise width requirements--- a "bucket live well" with aerator (also powered by the marine battery for keeping shad and minnows alive) and last but not least, room for 2-3 fold-up chairs, in bags, bound with a nice piece of rope and standing on end.

Step #5: Add 12" lengths of chain to the back corners of the cart to allow the back end to "fold down" to make a flat surface. As of right now, the back end just folds all the way down to the ground. This extra space will allow me to have a custom cutting board or an extra place to sit.

Step #6: Add (2) 3 foot chain segments to the "NON-ROD-HOLDER" side of the M.F.A.U. This will allow me to stretch them back and stake them into the ground... In case that 120 pound blue comes along.

In the first pic, the scale is a bit off, but you can see the layout. It'll all fit, I just didn't do the best job in Paint.

Some surf fishermen use similar carts for salt fishing... here are a few examples... none of which hold the M.F.A.U.'s jock strap.

If I do it a little at a time, I should have this ready to go by May. Sometimes you just gotta fish from the bank, and I'm tired of being immobile. Having to reel in, pull up the rod holders, make two trips to the next spot carrying a bunch of crap with me each time we move... for the birds.

Just gotta make sure to not make it too top-heavy...

Just wanted to share. I'll post updates as I get further along in the process.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Looks great!
Wouldn't put my net anywhere near the battery though.
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman View Post
Looks great!
Wouldn't put my net anywhere near the battery though.
I was planning on having a divider in the box... Battery and wires, connectors on one side, my 2 cast nets on the other side of the divider.

But yea... I could see how having lead lines and filament nets laying up against battery terminals would be dumb.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

First the raft now the fishing wagon. Those TN fish aren't going to know what hit them.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

I better hit em with a big sinker... Seems like the only way I'll be catching any-- knock em out and collect the bodies!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great concept. Just need to figure out a way to add a motor to keep someone from having to pull it.
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

LOL. Yea. I don't mind. It hauls 50-60 pounds of bricks no problem. Nice and smooth. As long as I can keep the center of gravity low, it should work okay. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyNinja View Post
Great concept. Just need to figure out a way to add a motor to keep someone from having to pull it.
Its why you have children!...

MUSH BUCK!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

LOL!! No kiddin, z!!!

He would love to pull it. He's that kind of kid. Always wants to help inflate the raft, carry rods, put bait on the hooks. Great kid...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in