Tie-Able Steel leader? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tie-Able Steel leader?

I bought some of the Tuffline tie-able leader material. I have been experimenting with what knots to use and haven't found anything I like yet? I actually broke it with my hands Not impressed so far. Do any of you use it?
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Only for snare wire when I have had packrat roomates....
Old 05-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here is some information I found for pike flyfishing leaders. discusses some pros and cons of different materials.
http://coloradoflyfishingreports.blo...ado-crash.html
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal/CO View Post
I bought some of the Tuffline tie-able leader material. I have been experimenting with what knots to use and haven't found anything I like yet? I actually broke it with my hands Not impressed so far. Do any of you use it?
I've tried it. The biggest problem is that it kinks too easily. One fish and it's bent and stays bent. Personally, I think 30 to 50 lb co polymer or mono works fine. 30 for cheap lures...50 if they cost more than a car payment.

Last edited by hobiecat; 05-07-2015 at 01:12 PM.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat View Post
I've tried it. The biggest problem is that it kinks too easily. One fish and it's bent and stays bent. Personally, I think 30 to 50 lb co polymer or mono works fine. 30 for cheap lures...50 if they cost more than a car payment.
Yup... I used toothy critter for a while but got tired of the kinks even when tying onto the mainline. Started using heavy fluoro and haven't looked back.... I've only been bit off one time and that was my fault for not retying after catching a few fish.
dieseldoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

you might try TyGer Leader, use it in norther Alberta when fishing for eyes, keeps the pike from stealing our jigs, seems to tie pretty good
http://www.basspro.com/TyGer-Leader/product/36747/
FishFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

I tried toothy critter tieable wire and didnt like it due to the same kinking problem...when Tony and I did the 90 tiger muskies trip caught and released we used a small black spro swivel (no shine)...a foot or 18 inches of 50/60 lb floro and tied it to the swivel using a clinch knot you could only use a few wraps and then used a pliers and some moisture on the knot to pull it tight...too many wraps caused bulk and issues with tightness so experiment at home with what you like and then we left the other end with nothing on it and tied the lure on direct...so we just tied up a bunch of leaders ahead of time and put them in a zip lock bag...or Tony did...I made a few out on the water...we lost the bag in the wind for awhile...I know we caught at least 20 fish on the same leader with no bite offs and no failure with smaller black spro swivels either...and the dollar japanese popper was tied direct with one of these leaders in the two short videos that follow...what an epic top water bite that was...lol

Last edited by Zman; 05-09-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Zman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2015, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Nice vids. I be there Wed. evening.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 05:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have been considering it myself, and a good buddy has been using it with very good success. I will hit him up on the why's soon. As far as mono for leader, my only criticism is it shreds quickly once it's water saturated. With huge fish, that can be an issue. Since you only have to use a foot or so at a time, it's one instance where I swear by fluoro.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Give this a try. Use a mexican bowline to make loops.

http://www.rioproducts.com/tippet/sp...e-bite-tippet/
Fordo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in