Double duty spin cast & fly rod...? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Double duty spin cast & fly rod...?

take a ultralight hiking trip each summer with my brother and keep things to a minimum in my pack. I have a 7 foot Medium Action telescoping spin cast rod that has served me well for the past two years - the key reason I use it is because it telescopes in on itself and packs down to only about 15" long. This last year I borrowed a cheapie fly reel from a friend and took it with me. I have no clue what the weight of the reel or fly line was that I was using... It took some practice, but I managed to get pretty comfy switching from the spin cast reel which I use in the alpine lakes, to the fly reel and working the streams with my "ghetto rig" with dry and drop flies.

I decided this year to purchase a new 5/6 fly reel. Now I need some advice on what weight of fly line & taper I should buy to put on my reel considering I'm using a fairly cheap, medium action 7 foot spin cast rod...?

I'm also open to suggestions from anyone that has experience with using a combo rig like this - anyone have a brand/model of rod that they love using interchangeably with either a spin cast or fly reel? It would need to be cost effective (i.e. cheap) and be able to break down and pack easily!

Thanks for your help!
nkacree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

If what you have is working, I see no reason to switch to something different. Great fly casters can cast a whole line with half a rod. I'd do the 5 weight line for your purposes, and learn how to cast it.
VolFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm thinking WF3 would work best, but especially on a reel suited for that weight. I don't know of that many situations in Colorado stream and river fishing where you need to cast a whole spool. I've found 40 or 50 ft is about max although there are a few places I've yet to fish.

A friend of mine from Australia brings his every year when he comes out and it's pretty cool. we joked about using a fly reel on it but didn't try it. Says it packs with his carry on luggage.

Another thing I'm seeing is all the Tenkara fishing rods are telescopic, although they dont use reels nor have guides on them.You might still want to look into that technique for it as well.
bardkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in