Rod/Reel Carrier - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rod/Reel Carrier

I have a Chevy Silverado w/ a Topper. I'm tired of laying my rod/reels on the bed to get knocked around and all beat up. Anyone got some ideas for custom rod/reel holders for the bed of a truck? I've seen some cool PVC holders, just trying to get some different ideas?!?

~Travis (720)317-9805~
Dr. Joe Siphek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can make one that locks out of PVC and an Ammo can.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was actually having the same problem and devised an idea yesterday. I saw the rod storage racks that bass pro has for sale and thought it would be super easy to get a set and glue some good magnets to the base of it. That way even with rods longer than the bed you can easily cant them to allow your rod ends to stick towards the top of your topper. And with the magnets, they would be very versatile for several different arrangements.
FishinKit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

http://m.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-...1402150935301/

This was the rod rack I was thinking of. The only problem I foresee is the reel hanging down due to gravity, so it might only store two rods/reels, but it would keep those two off the bed.
FishinKit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bass pro makes a nice rod rack that hangs inside of your topper. I think it holds 10+ rods at a time.
Theonethatgotaway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2016, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theonethatgotaway View Post
Bass pro makes a nice rod rack that hangs inside of your topper. I think it holds 10+ rods at a time.

You can make a rod hanger in your topper for cheaper with some stuff from HD. Only problem is if you have somewhere for it to attach to. I have a set up in my work van and Tahoe, luckily I had good places to attach to. I'll take pics and post later. I'm sure some of the other guys have cool set ups.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

This is what I used for mine.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-in-...9C0N/100401412

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-...-203210506-_-N

Those black twisty ties hold rods securely so they don't move around and get rubbed by the bungee.Hope that works for you , if not just throw an old comforter on the bed and lay your rods on there. Hooks may get stuck every now and then, but it's an old comforter so ripping small holes in it doesn't matter

Last edited by golden rod; 03-27-2016 at 07:18 PM.
golden rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

About 7 years ago someone did me a favor by liberating my truck of its head unit, leaving a convenient hole in my dash. Now I am able to insert the rods, butt end first, through the open slider window and the reels rest smartly in the "reel hole". I can get 4 reels/rods in there comfortably.

Installation - Just leave your truck in a Boulder apartment complex parking lot over a weekend and you too might get lucky enough to come back to find a brand new reel hole. Pro-tip - leave your truck unlocked to avoid window replacement.
tangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangler View Post
About 7 years ago someone did me a favor by liberating my truck of its head unit, leaving a convenient hole in my dash. Now I am able to insert the rods, butt end first, through the open slider window and the reels rest smartly in the "reel hole". I can get 4 reels/rods in there comfortably.

Installation - Just leave your truck in a Boulder apartment complex parking lot over a weekend and you too might get lucky enough to come back to find a brand new reel hole. Pro-tip - leave your truck unlocked to avoid window replacement.
Unexpected gifts are the best! I gotta ask: was your truck unlocked?
Old 03-30-2016, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

No, they shattered my drivers side window. It had an illegal tint, so I think they just wanted me to be safer.

My brother was living in Boulder until recently and had his vehicle broken into twice and his apartment broken into once, over the last year.
tangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in