Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Tackle Garage (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   chest waders for fall (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142834)

Thenewguy76 10-16-2016 12:32 PM

chest waders for fall

still being new I didn't/don't want to spend a million $ (which is ironic at the rate I lose $5-9 lures)...my crappy herters waders were a lot of fun in the summer. I'm having a hard time figuring out how warm/thick I need for fall? I don't want to melt when it's cool but not freezing and I don't see wading through slush/snow. what thickness/insulation level would you recommend? any particular less expensive ones that you think are fairly good?

tal0362 10-16-2016 08:03 PM

Go cheap, thick wool socks with foot bed warmers in the waders you have now.

dallasdb 10-16-2016 09:35 PM

Craigslist and you can find great deals fyi

Oyey 10-17-2016 06:33 AM

I would get breathable waders and wear layers underneath... Sierra Trading Post has good deals on waders if you want to buy new. Don't buy junk waders.

Thenewguy76 10-17-2016 08:02 AM

Tried wool and my good base layers with the cheapies, wasn't my warmest expedition. Didn't even think to look on craigslist, I'll do that. Thanks for the idea!

Oyey 10-17-2016 08:16 AM

For real cold wades, I use a thin, non absorbing base layer, an extra heavy weight base layer, then a set of heavy weight fleece. With my normal breathable waders, this has been as warm as anything I have tried. I used to have neoprene waders, but they were tight with a few layers and I wasn't any warmer.

Pilotfly 10-17-2016 09:28 AM

I concur with Oyey. A good pair of breathables with layering underneath works well. I have an old pair of neoprene waders that aren't really any warmer than what I use with my breathables. I haven't worn the neoprene's in over 15 years and with my recent weight loss (30 pounds due to diabetes) they probably won't be as tight as I remember them which was a turn off and made me decide to go the breathable route.

Thenewguy76 10-17-2016 10:26 AM

cool, love the feedback. I tried some Herters uninsulated waders while still deciding if fishing was something I was going to do. for the $ they are great...in summer.
is there an entry level priced breathable brand that you guys like? I see seirra trading has some affordable allen co ones but they get mixed reviews on leaks. last thing I want is a leak when I'm layered so I don't even feel it until im saturated.

CF LURKER 10-17-2016 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oyey (Post 1852450)
I would get breathable waders and wear layers underneath... Don't buy junk waders.

What this dude said!!!

CF LURKER 10-17-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenewguy76 (Post 1852666)
cool, love the feedback. I tried some Herters uninsulated waders while still deciding if fishing was something I was going to do. for the $ they are great...in summer.
is there an entry level priced breathable brand that you guys like? I see seirra trading has some affordable allen co ones but they get mixed reviews on leaks. last thing I want is a leak when I'm layered so I don't even feel it until im saturated.

One thing for sure... they all will leak sometime.

A buddy just bought S*mms and five (5) times on the water and they leak.

I have sent a pair of Orv*s waders back to them every year(for 7 yrs) because of a leak in the seam. (grant it they send me a new pair each time) My original breathable waders I bought back in 1999, still can wear today and no leak. They do seep some but no leaks. Wish they made their waders like they used to. (I think the seepage comes from being dirty, maybe I should figure out how to wash them)

I have cheap ones that have not made it through a season.

I hate buying waders.

Good luck in finding a good quality pair of waders...when you do let me know!